Kenosha Bradford showed why it is one of the state's top teams Saturday afternoon as they blanked Brookfield Central, 27-0, in a WIAA Level 3 football playoff game.
On a day that the Lancers 'bend but don't break' defense gave the Lancers a chance to advance, Bradford shut out Central's offense, which was averaging 38 points a game.
Senior fullback Quanzell Murphy was a pain in the Lancers' side as he scored the Red Devils first two touchdowns, turning short passes from senior quarterback Zach Swisher into touchdowns of 70 and 21 yards.
Bradford led at half-time, 14-0, thanks to Murphy, who scored with 8:54 left in the first quarter and with 11:51 in the second quarter.
The Red Devils had scores with 4:48 in the third quarter (Henry Cabrera 5-yard run) and 2:39 left in the game (John Myers 40 TD).
Central's only real threat was stopped at the 4-yard line in the second quarter.
Bradford rushed for 265 yards, with Myers getting 119 yards, as the Central defense kept the game in control.
Sophomore DeMario Harris rushed for 98 yards to lead the Lancers and QB Jason Meichtry was 7-for-17 for 61 yards.
It was a sloppy game on both sides, as each team fumbled four times and lost two and Central was intercepted twice.
Central finished the year at 9-3 while Bradford improved to 12-0.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Brookfield East netters beat Red, Raiders, Lancers, fifth at Nicolet Invite
- Brookfield Academy sports summaries: Sept. 25
- Brookfield Library Recommendations: Sept. 25
- Brookfield Central girl spikers win Oshkosh Showdown
- Brookfield East boys volleyball coach named 2013-14 Coach of Year
- Brookfield Central girls win seventh consecutive Angel Invite cross country meet
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Sports Notes: Sept. 28
- Football: East nips Central, 24-20, in game which featured big plays
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 19