Brookfield Central scored six touchdowns and held off Franklin, 42-28, Saturday night at Franklin in a Division 1 Level 2 football playoff game.
Sophomores DeMario Harris and Riley Richarz each rushed for two touchdowns, senior QB Jason Meichtry tossed a TD pass to Robert Rossmiller and junior Jason Toney scored another rushing TD.
Steven Knopp, filling in at kicker for Meichtry was once again a perfect 6-for-6 on PATs.
Central led 14-7 after one quarter, as Richarz scored on a 10-yard run, but Franklin's Ben Miller tied the game on a 25-yard run. Meichtry then passed 19 yards to Rossmiller for the score with 3:09 left in the period.
Toney then gave Central a 21-7 lead when he raced around right end for a 23-yard score, but the Sabers outstanding sophomore QB Sean McGuire launched a 56-yard score to Shaun Quirk to make it 21-14 at half-time.
McGuire and Quirk connected for 42 yards with 3:58 left in the third quarter to tie the game, before Harris scored on a 3-yard, fourth down run, carrying two Sabers defenders into the end zone with him and Central had the lead back at 28-21.
Richarz later scored on an option pitch from Meichtry from 6-yards out for a 35-21 lead and Harris had a 27-yard TD for a 42-21 advantage with 2:56 left in the game.
Franklin punched in a score with 1:33 left in the game when Miller scored from 13 yards out.
The game ended with Central stopping Miller on the 3-yard line.
Harris rushed for 177 yards, as Central rolled up 296 yards rushing. Meichtry was 5-for-9 for 131 yards and he rushed for 38 more.
Miller rushed for 77 yards, but the Sabers did most of their damage through the air as McGuire passed for 397 yards on 25-of-41 passes. Quirk caught 5 for 168, Chad Walton was 6 for 58, Miller was 6 for 56, Matt Ward was 4 for 39 and Ben Smith was 2 for 39.
Turnovers killed the Sabers, as D.J. Ley intercepted a pass and Franklin lost three fumbles to Rocky Johnson (2) and Derek Schmidt.
Central (9-2) will now play Kenosha Bradford (11-0) next weekend.
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Baseball: Brookfield East baseball has 6-0 week
- Soccer: Elm Grove soccer players to be honored
- Girls Track and Field: Brookfield East girls have another successful track and field season
- Baseball: Brookfield Central baseball can't quite end streak
- Baseball: Brookfield East uses five-run first inning to beat Lancers
- Land O’Lakes baseball: Arnold throws no-hitter, Blue Sox blank Menomonee Falls
- Elmbrook Swim Club hosted All-American meet at Brookfield East
- Softball: Brookfield Central had solid season under new coaching staff
- Elmbrook Swim Club: June 2