Brookfield East crushed West Allis Central, 48-13, Friday night at the West Allis Athletic Complex in the Greater Metro Conference opener for both teams.
The Spartans improved to 3-0, while the Bulldogs fell to 1-2.
Senior Troy Brown returned the opening kick for an 80-yard touchdown to give the Bulldogs a 6-0 lead, but the Spartans came right back to take the lead for good on a 4-play 30-yard drive, concluding on a 1-yard run by East's Zach Schober, who also kicked the PAT for 7-6 lead at 9:44 of the first period.
After a quick 3-and-out, East scored again on a 7-play 61-yard drive, ending when QB Bryce Pompos had a 17-yard TD pass to Kyle Wirtz. Schober's PAT made it 14-6 at the 5:18 mark.
After another 3-and-out, the Spartans went 37 yards in 3 plays, concluding when Pompos passed 38 yards to 6-4 WR Griffin Lynch, who who outjumped the smaller Bulldog defensive back for the ball and took it in for score and a 21-6 lead with 2:10 left in the period.
Defensive back Brian Smith then stepped in front of QB Brandon Danowski's pass in the flat and raced 23-yard for the score and a 28-6 lead at the end of the first quarter.
The teams exchanged scores in the second period, as East RB Nate Schneider scored on a nice 25-yard run up the middle at the 3:46 mark, following a 28-run by Schober which set it up.
The Bulldogs then got on the board on a nice 10-play 52-yard drive, when backup QB Dakota Behrs flipped a beautiful 5-yard score to Brian Hoppe in the right corner of the end zone to cut the lead to 34-13 at half-time.
Behrs replaced Dankowski in the middle of the drive, when Dankowski was injured after being tackled on an 11-yard run.
East then came out and scored on a 1-yard run by Pompos and a 12-yard score by back-up quarterback Dylan Golla, on a nice 7-yard run.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Central tennis team beats Tosa West
- Brookfield East kickers blank Homestead, 2-0
- Central's boys volleyball team only returns three letter winners
- Key injuries might slow Brookfield Central's girls XC team
- Football: Brookfield East crushes Beaver Dam, 47-0
- Dominic LaBellarte leads Brookfield Central football to 55-13 romp over Riverside
- West Bend rallies to beat Brookfield, 8-4
- Brookfield East girls volleyball team expects to contend
- East rushes for 434 yards in win over Popes