The Brookfield Bulldogs beat East Troy, 5-2, Sunday at McCoy Field and remained the only unbeaten team in the double elimination Land O' Lakes Grand Championship Series.
Cedarburg (1-1) lost to West Allis (1-1) Sunday and then won a coin flip to host the Bulldogs next Saturday at 1:30 p.m. West Allis gets a bye and will face Brookfield/Cedarburg on Sunday.
A Bulldog win, would eliminate Cedarburg, and they would host West Allis on Sunday at McCoy. If Cedarburg wins, all teams would have one loss. Cedarburg and Brookfield would then flip a coin, with the winner having the choice of playing West Allis Sunday or Monday.
On Sunday, the Bulldogs trailed 1-0 when they scored three runs in the bottom of the second inning to take the lead for good.
Jeff Lueck singled, went to second on a wild pitch and scored on Mike Mierow's single to center, Mierow taking second on the throw home. Brandon Reddinger then doubled to left, scoring Mierow and moved to third on Mike Jacobs ground out. Andy Monigal then singled in Reddinger for the 3-1 lead.
After East Troy scored their second unearned run of the game in the fourth, Reddinger had an inside the park homer, when the Express centerfielder Justin Keagan dove for the ball and missed it.
Veteran Ernest Castro then drilled a homer to right field to lead off the sixth inning for the final run.
Greg Basthemer scattered 10 hits, walked two, hit a batter and fanned two and allowed two unearned runs. Mark Erickson allowed a 2-out double and a walked, but fanned Matt Lang to get the save.
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Boys track and field: Brookfield East track and field synonymous with success
- Baseball: Brookfield East baseball team drops four of five
- Softball: Brookfield East's Jahnke, Knight earn first-team All-GMC softball honors
- Land O’Lakes baseball: Brookfield Bulldogs rally for win, stay in first place
- Girls soccer: Brookfield Central's Staszkiewicz named first-team all-state for girls soccer
- Baseball: Brookfield Central baseball team searching for results
- Baseball: Brookfield East baseball has 6-0 week
- Soccer: Elm Grove soccer players to be honored
- Girls Track and Field: Brookfield East girls have another successful track and field season