The young Brookfield East Spartans improved to 2-0 through their non-conference schedule, but will now turn it up a notch next weekend when they open the Greater Metro Conference portion of their schedule.
East crushed Milwaukee South, 42-0, Friday night at home and combined with a 55-0 win over Grafton, outscored their non-conference foes 97-0. South and Grafton, however, are a combined 0-4 and have been outscored 181-0 in their first two games.
But East coach Tom Swittel needed to build his young team's confidence and hopefully, those two wins will pay off when the Spartans play for real when they host West Allis Central (1-1) on Friday.
After a scoreless first quarter, the Spartans scored three touchdowns in the second period for a 21-0 lead at half-time over South.
First Bryce Pompos, who completed 10-of-15 for 116 yards, threw a 28-yard touchdown to wide receiver Mike Amato to put East on the board, 8-0, as the same two players hooked up on a 2-point conversion.
Then the defense made a huge play, as defensive back Brian Smith intercepted a pass and raced 65-yards for a score and a 14-0 lead. Alec James then scored on a short run and Zach Schober kicked the PAT with 47 seconds to go in the half.
East's final three touchdowns came on the ground, as Schober scored on a 5-yard run in the third period (3:24) and on a 3-yard run at 10:37 of the final quarter. Pompos ran in a 6-yard score with 1:53 left to play to end the scoring.
Schober kicked all three PAT on the last three scores and rushed for 127 yards to lead the Spartans.
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Brookfield East Sports Shorts: April 28, 2016 issue
- Brookfield Central Sports Shorts: April 28, 2016 issue
- College Volleyball: Brookfield's Leitermann on UW-Oshkosh's National Title Team
- Boys Tennis: Brookfield East tennis team beats Eau Claire, Arrowhead, Neenah
- Boys Tennis: Brookfield Central's tennis team beats Indian Trail, West Allis Central, then wins own tournament
- GIRLS TRACK AND FIELD: Brookfield Central's girls track and field team wins Union Grove, Wisconsin Lutheran Invites
- Brookfield Academy: April 28
- Boys basketball: Matt Malett resigns as Brookfield East boys basketball coach
- Softball: Brookfield East softball team beats Tosa West for first victory