Brookfield Central rallied to beat Oak Creek, 24-14, Friday night on the road and quarterback Jason Meichtry bounced back from a tough opening game.
Trailing 14-10 after the Knight's Lincoln Wylie raced 49-yards down the left sideline for a touchdown with 1:27 left in the third quarter, the Lancers bounced back with two fourth quarter touchdowns for the win.
Meichtry and running back Charlie O'Dwyer led the way as Central went 52-yards in 11 plays after the Knights scored.
Key plays in the drive were Meichtry rolling left and hitting a sliding O'Dwyer for a first down on third and five at mid-field.
A 14-yard run by O'Dwyer, gave Central a first and 10 at the 20.
An 11-yard completion from Meichtry to Isaiah Snydor on third down and five for a first down on the 11.
A 9-yard TD run off left tackle by O'Dwyer with 9:52 left in the game to take a 17-14 lead.
Quarterback Nick Marks tried to rally the Knights, but Central's defense shut down Oak Creek's offense.
A sack by Chikwe Obashi stopped one drive with 8:08 left and then defensive back Billy Schim (6-0, 165) came up with a huge interception with 4:52 left on Marks' pass intended for Trae Packer (6-2, 187), wrestling the ball away from the big receiver.
Central took over at Oak Creek's 26-yard line then worked the clock down to 2:22. On fourth and goal from the seven, Meichtry hit O'Dwyer who made a sliding catch in the middle of the end zone for the clinching score.
Meichtry had given Central a 10-0 lead on a 25-yard field goal in the first quarter and a 22-yard TD pass to Nick Olson in the left corner of the end zone with 11:27 on the clock.
But Marks led the Knights back, scoring on a 1-yard run with 3:01 left in the half, cutting the score to 10-7 before Wylie's big run.
Meichtry, who threw five interceptions in the Lancers opening loss, finished 11-of-20 for 165 yards, two touchdowns, three extra points and a field goal. O'Dwyer finished with 93 total yards and two scores.
Wylie had 80 yards rushing and Marks 71, while Marks completed 8-of-13 for 57 yards.
Schim, who got his second interception to stop Oak Creek's final drive, Austin Vanark at linebacker and Rocky Johnson in the defensive line keyed a good effort by defensive coordinator Sal Logue's defense.
Both teams are now 1-1.
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Baseball: Brookfield East baseball has 6-0 week
- Soccer: Elm Grove soccer players to be honored
- Girls Track and Field: Brookfield East girls have another successful track and field season
- Baseball: Brookfield Central baseball can't quite end streak
- Baseball: Brookfield East uses five-run first inning to beat Lancers
- Land O’Lakes baseball: Arnold throws no-hitter, Blue Sox blank Menomonee Falls
- Elmbrook Swim Club hosted All-American meet at Brookfield East
- Softball: Brookfield Central had solid season under new coaching staff
- Elmbrook Swim Club: June 2