Brookfield Central rallied to beat Oak Creek, 24-14, Friday night on the road and quarterback Jason Meichtry bounced back from a tough opening game.
Trailing 14-10 after the Knight's Lincoln Wylie raced 49-yards down the left sideline for a touchdown with 1:27 left in the third quarter, the Lancers bounced back with two fourth quarter touchdowns for the win.
Meichtry and running back Charlie O'Dwyer led the way as Central went 52-yards in 11 plays after the Knights scored.
Key plays in the drive were Meichtry rolling left and hitting a sliding O'Dwyer for a first down on third and five at mid-field.
A 14-yard run by O'Dwyer, gave Central a first and 10 at the 20.
An 11-yard completion from Meichtry to Isaiah Snydor on third down and five for a first down on the 11.
A 9-yard TD run off left tackle by O'Dwyer with 9:52 left in the game to take a 17-14 lead.
Quarterback Nick Marks tried to rally the Knights, but Central's defense shut down Oak Creek's offense.
A sack by Chikwe Obashi stopped one drive with 8:08 left and then defensive back Billy Schim (6-0, 165) came up with a huge interception with 4:52 left on Marks' pass intended for Trae Packer (6-2, 187), wrestling the ball away from the big receiver.
Central took over at Oak Creek's 26-yard line then worked the clock down to 2:22. On fourth and goal from the seven, Meichtry hit O'Dwyer who made a sliding catch in the middle of the end zone for the clinching score.
Meichtry had given Central a 10-0 lead on a 25-yard field goal in the first quarter and a 22-yard TD pass to Nick Olson in the left corner of the end zone with 11:27 on the clock.
But Marks led the Knights back, scoring on a 1-yard run with 3:01 left in the half, cutting the score to 10-7 before Wylie's big run.
Meichtry, who threw five interceptions in the Lancers opening loss, finished 11-of-20 for 165 yards, two touchdowns, three extra points and a field goal. O'Dwyer finished with 93 total yards and two scores.
Wylie had 80 yards rushing and Marks 71, while Marks completed 8-of-13 for 57 yards.
Schim, who got his second interception to stop Oak Creek's final drive, Austin Vanark at linebacker and Rocky Johnson in the defensive line keyed a good effort by defensive coordinator Sal Logue's defense.
Both teams are now 1-1.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Brookfield East netters beat Red, Raiders, Lancers, fifth at Nicolet Invite
- Brookfield Academy sports summaries: Sept. 25
- Brookfield Library Recommendations: Sept. 25
- Brookfield Central girl spikers win Oshkosh Showdown
- Brookfield East boys volleyball coach named 2013-14 Coach of Year
- Brookfield Central girls win seventh consecutive Angel Invite cross country meet
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Sports Notes: Sept. 28
- Football: East nips Central, 24-20, in game which featured big plays
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 19