On the opening Friday of football, Racine Park and Brookfield Central went toe to toe in a battle of traditionally strong football programs. Park came out the winners, 30-20.
Turnovers, blocked punts, and penalties were the name of the game for much of the night, as 10 of Park’s 17 first quarter points came on turnovers, and 23 of the game’s total points were scored on turnovers or blocked punts. The two teams also combined for more than 100 yards of penalties.
The Lancers fought back in the second and scored on a 33-yard run from DeMario Harris to go into halftime down by 10. Park briefly widened the gap to 23-7 in the third on a touchdown by quarterback Jordan Payne, but the Lancers answered with another Harris touchdown two minutes later. The subsequent 2-point attempt was no good, bringing the score to 23-13.
Central scored their third touchdown in the fourth on a quarterback keeper from Jason Meichtry shortly after recovering a Park fumble, cutting Park’s lead to just 3. Another touchdown from Payne brought Park’s final lead back to 10.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Football: Brookfield East crushes Beaver Dam, 47-0
- Dominic LaBellarte leads Brookfield Central football to 55-13 romp over Riverside
- West Bend rallies to beat Brookfield, 8-4
- Brookfield East girls volleyball team expects to contend
- East rushes for 434 yards in win over Popes
- Brookfield East soccer team looking to defend title
- Lueck does it again, wins fourth straight game for Bulldogs: Brookfield Bulldogs back in LOL Grand Championships
- Gridiron Guide: Get to know: Brookfield East Spartans
- Brookfield Academy football team should be contenders