Brookfield Central outslugged Germantown, 16-11, while two Brookfield East pitchers no-hit Sussex Hamilton, 10-0, as both teams advanced to the Germantown Sectional on Friday.
The Lancers will play Menomonee Falls at 11 a.m. and the Spartans play Pewaukee at 1:30 p.m. the winners will play at 5 p.m. for the chance to go to the state tournament next week.
In one of the wilder games of the year, the Lancers scored twice in the first, but Germantown countered with two runs in the second to tie the game and two for in the third for a 4-2 advantage.
But Central scored twice in the third to tie the game, only to see the Warhawks score a run in the fourth to take a 5-4 lead. But then Central added three runs in the fourth to take a 7-5 lead, only to see Germantown score twice and tie the game.
Central then scored seven runs in the fifth for a 14-7 lead and held on for the win, as Germantown scored once in the sixth and twice in the seventh. The Lancers had scored twice in the sixth, as neither team’s offense could be stopped.
Jack Lawton’s three-run homer sparked the seven-run fifth inning, while Connor Shipman twice had big two-run singles in the fourth and fifth innings.
Danny Barwick and Ryan Hinz each had three hits, while Hinz drove in two runs. Billy Calawerts had two singles, a walk and three runs scored from the lead-off spot and clean-up hitter Collin O’Gorman had three RBIs, without an official at bat (sacrifice fly and four walks, two with the bases loaded).
John Foley and Pat O’Brien combined on a no-hitter, pitching only five innings in the 10-0 win as the 10-run rule applied. Foley walked three and hit a batter and fanned two in four innings and O’Brien pitched one inning, striking out one.
East got on the runs the Spartans would need in the first when O’Brien tripled and Nick Kanavas singled him in. Kevin Sylla had a ground-rule double putting runners on second and third. Mike Eberle hit a sacrifice fly scoring Kanavas and Brian Sylla singled in his brother Kevin for a 3-0 lead and the Spartans were on their way.
Kevin Sylla singled and doubled, Brian Sylla singled twice and O’Brien went 1-for-2 with a triple. Rogers and Kanavas each drove in two runs and Brian Sylla and Eberle each added an RBI.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Brookfield East boys track team will once again be a threat
- Brookfield East girls basketball team moving on up
- Brookfield Barracudas put together solid swim season
- Brookfield East girls track team wins Nelson Daniel's Invite
- Cain takes the reins for Brookfield Central softball
- Brookfield Central boys third at UW-Parkside Invite
- Brookfield Central girls track and field team wins Outfitters Invite
- Dusing returns to lead Brookfield Central boys track team
- Liebl happy with first season as Brookfield Central's girls basketball coach