Brad Leachy struck out the last batter with the bases loaded and Brookfield Central held on to beat Brookfield East, 6-5, Tuesday night at East.
Central advanced to the Consolation Championship of the second GMC Tournament. The Lancers will host West Allis Hale and the Spartans will play at Menomonee Falls on Wednesday at 5:30 p.m.
East had won the first meeting, 10-3, on May 31 at East and Central won, 8-5, on July 5 at Central. The teams could meet one more time if they reach the sectional finals on July 22.
Tuesday’s game was a thriller down to the final out, as the Spartans cut the Lancers lead to 6-5 and had the bases loaded with two outs when Brad Leachy fanned the final East hitter to end the game.
“Brad Leachy has found his role,” Central coach Jeff Bigler said. “He relishes coming in and slamming the door. It was fun to watch because his fastball was finishing.”
Kehoe’s rbi single in the second gave East a 1-0 lead. Jack Lawton’s rbi single in the fourth tied the game up and then Lancers had a big four-run fifth as they took a 5-1 lead. Central mixed in three walks, a hit batter, a bunt single, an error and Jack Lawton’s sacrifice fly in the rally as Mike Eberle struggled with his control.
East’s Kanavas and Kehoe and Central’s Collin O’Gorman were the only players with multi-hits. Kehoe and O'Gorman also did an excellent job behind home plate.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Brookfield Library recommendations: Aug. 21
- Brookfield East faces questions, but answers close by
- Brookfield East swimmers should be strong
- Elm Grove Tennis Club has successful junior tourney
- Kennedy takes over helm at Brookfield Central
- Brookfield East golfers returning four starters
- Brookfield Central golfers seek third straight GMC title
- Mystery Photo Contest