Brad Leachy struck out the last batter with the bases loaded and Brookfield Central held on to beat Brookfield East, 6-5, Tuesday night at East.
Central advanced to the Consolation Championship of the second GMC Tournament. The Lancers will host West Allis Hale and the Spartans will play at Menomonee Falls on Wednesday at 5:30 p.m.
East had won the first meeting, 10-3, on May 31 at East and Central won, 8-5, on July 5 at Central. The teams could meet one more time if they reach the sectional finals on July 22.
Tuesday’s game was a thriller down to the final out, as the Spartans cut the Lancers lead to 6-5 and had the bases loaded with two outs when Brad Leachy fanned the final East hitter to end the game.
“Brad Leachy has found his role,” Central coach Jeff Bigler said. “He relishes coming in and slamming the door. It was fun to watch because his fastball was finishing.”
Kehoe’s rbi single in the second gave East a 1-0 lead. Jack Lawton’s rbi single in the fourth tied the game up and then Lancers had a big four-run fifth as they took a 5-1 lead. Central mixed in three walks, a hit batter, a bunt single, an error and Jack Lawton’s sacrifice fly in the rally as Mike Eberle struggled with his control.
East’s Kanavas and Kehoe and Central’s Collin O’Gorman were the only players with multi-hits. Kehoe and O'Gorman also did an excellent job behind home plate.
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Baseball: Brookfield Central baseball unable to pull upset in regional loss to Sussex Hamilton
- Sports Notes: July 21, 2016
- Baseball: Brookfield East drops regional opener to Kettle Moraine
- Football: Former Brookfield East coach Tom Swittel goes out with WFCA All-Star Game win
- Brookfield Bulldogs, Blue Sox begin Land O'Lakes stretch run
- New Brookfield Central AD Don Kurth to bring wide variety of experience
- Sports Notes: July 14
- Baseball: Brookfield East's upset bid falls short in Greater Metro baseball tournament
- Baseball: Brookfield Central baseball team wins three of final four regular-season games