Homestead junior pitcher Rachel Behnken shut out Brookfield Central, 9-0, tonight at Thiensville Village Park to win the sectional semi-final.
Behnken allowed only five hits and two walks and fanned six.
Central made a game of it briefly, as the Highlanders led 1-0 through two innings before scoring four runs in the third inning to take a 5-0 lead into the bottom of the fifth.
Behnke had an RBI double, Megan Bailey had an RBI single and Sami Wolniakowski ripped a 2-run double to key the third inning rally.
Homestead then added a run in the fifth and three more in the sixth to put the game out of reach.
Losing pitcher Laura Hauser didn’t allow more than one hit to any hitter, scattering five hits, three in the third and two in the sixth, both big innings for the Highlanders.
Hauser’s lack of control did her in, though, as she walked seven hitters.
Central catcher Kristy Haralson was the game’s only batter with two hits, singles in the third and fifth innings.
The Lancers did hit the ball well serval times, but the Homestead fielders played excellent defense.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Football: Lancers name Jed Kennedy football coach
- Corwin to be inducted into tennis HOF
- Sports Shorts: March 13
- Lancers' Adams goes out on top
- Nightmare end to dream season
- Chapter 3: Once again, Lancers vs. DSHA
- Lancer girls defeat defending state champ
- Mark Adams steps down as Lancers boys basketball coach
- Brookfield Academy: March 13