Frozen yogurt and a summer breeze are coming to the Ruby Isle shopping center.
Yo Mama Yogurt has taken the place of That Coffee Place, and on Monday, the city of Brookfield Plan Commission approved making the drive-through into an outdoor seating area.
The Common Council has already approved the code changes to accommodate the business change and the remodel began back in January for Yo Mama.
Rebecca and Scott Berger opened a Yo Mama Yogurt in Wauwatosa last summer with rousing success thanks to a hot summer. The Brookfield family is now opening a location in Brookfield, a plan that has been met with unanimous approval from Brookfield city officials, particularly Alderman Scott Berg.
Berg made a special trip to the commission meeting to support the plans, saying he'd been to the Wauwatosa store several times and the product "passed with flying colors." He also supported the idea of having outdoor seating, providing a place he said families and residents could come consistently and enjoy themselves.
"Brookfield is not a rigid, by-the-book place," he told the commission.
"If people don't believe that, we can invite them for a cone of chocolate."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Construction starts on Brookfield Square expansion
- Wisconsin's Attorney General Brad Schimel reflects on first months in new office
- Elmbrook School District faces $1 million reduction in funding under Gov. Scott Walker's budget (6)
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: Feb. 26
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Meetings: Feb. 26
- North side Brookfield residents continue to battle flooding
- Ask Now: Any plans for Brookfield's former Venice Club?
- On the Move: Feb. 26
- Education Notes: Feb. 29
- Elmbrook Parent Network to address appropriate social media use in panel discussion