Frozen yogurt and a summer breeze are coming to the Ruby Isle shopping center.
Yo Mama Yogurt has taken the place of That Coffee Place, and on Monday, the city of Brookfield Plan Commission approved making the drive-through into an outdoor seating area.
The Common Council has already approved the code changes to accommodate the business change and the remodel began back in January for Yo Mama.
Rebecca and Scott Berger opened a Yo Mama Yogurt in Wauwatosa last summer with rousing success thanks to a hot summer. The Brookfield family is now opening a location in Brookfield, a plan that has been met with unanimous approval from Brookfield city officials, particularly Alderman Scott Berg.
Berg made a special trip to the commission meeting to support the plans, saying he'd been to the Wauwatosa store several times and the product "passed with flying colors." He also supported the idea of having outdoor seating, providing a place he said families and residents could come consistently and enjoy themselves.
"Brookfield is not a rigid, by-the-book place," he told the commission.
"If people don't believe that, we can invite them for a cone of chocolate."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brookfield native takes culinary skills to television
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: May 28
- Brookfield and Elm Grove News IQ: May 28
- Brookfield family shares online school experience
- Ask Now: Too many intersections in close proximity? (1)
- Brookfield's Scott named chair of governmental accounting council
- Business Spotlight: At The Gift Shoppe, the products move and the store stays fresh
- Annual roadwork is full steam ahead in Greenfield and West Allis
- Town of Brookfield's Carp O' Rama on cusp of cancellation
- Tonawanda fifth-graders say 'farewell' to school through service project