Janina S. Werner, 18, of Milwaukee, was charged with being party to the theft of jewelry from a Brookfield home in Waukesha County Circuit Court yesterday.
If convicted, she faces a fine of up to $10,000, up to six years in prison, or both.
The criminal complaint alleges:
The woman who lives in the home, in the 16100 block of Cumberland Court, noticed that a number of pieces of gold jewelry were missing and reported the matter Sept. 12. The rings, pendants and other items taken had a total estimated value of about $5,000.
She believed the items had been taken during the month of August, and recalled that two of her son's friends - one being Werner - had spent time in the home.
Two weeks later, the woman found some of her jewelry in Werner's purse.
Meanwhile, police had learned that the other friend who had been at the home had sold a number of pieces of gold jewelry to a gold-buying shop. That friend told officers that Werner had given him the jewelry to sell, and that he had believed it belonged to her deceased mother. Werner had not turned 18 at the time, so she was unable to sell gold on her own.
Werner is scheduled to make an initial court appearance Jan. 23.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Elm Grove releases surveillance photos of TCF Bank robbery suspects (7)
- Elmbrook School Board takes a look at crowding at Swanson school (11)
- Brookfield/Elm Grove News IQ: Feb. 4
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: Feb. 4
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Meetings: Feb. 4
- Ask Now: What are Ponto's other priorities, beyond development? (6)
- Brookfield man charged with shooting neighbors arrested again for assaulting hotel manager (3)
- Town of Brookfield man faces possible prison time in domestic violence case
- Brookfield Elm Grove Interfaith Network sets sights on building bridges
- Brookfield Square already planning another expansion, including parking structure (2)