Staring vacantly out his office window one day in late 2010, Ken Wick experienced a moment of clarity.
"I was day-dreaming about the future, thinking how I don't want to be working in the corporate world for 20 more years, when it suddenly came to me that I should start my own business," said Wick, who now co-owns Monkey Business, a party supply store and kids party venue in Brookfield with his wife, Mary. "So, I put together a business plan, attended night school at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, and in March of this year opened our store."
Located in the Sendik's Towne Centre in the 19000 block of West Capitol Drive, Monkey Business hosts children's theme parties and carries gifts, greeting cards and candy, in addition to a selection of party supplies and accessories.
The store's party room, extensive inventory and "fun factor" separates Monkey Business from its competitors, Wick said.
"We're bright, clean and have trendy products, like bacon Band-aids and mustache magnets, that you can't get elsewhere, as well as a party room, which other area party supply stores don't have," he said. "My experience as a consumer and working in the corporate world taught me that people need to be treated better. We want our store to be a fun place to visit. That's why everyone who enters our store is greeted warmly and every child receives a free balloon animal."
Open daily, Monkey Business' target market is females age 25 to 55, who have children and grandchildren, Wick said. In the meantime, Wick couldn't be happier with his transition from corporate life to the retail world.
"When a child smiles at me after I've made them a balloon animal, or a customer says that our store is cool and fun and that they'll be back, then I know our business is on the right track," he said.
If you would like to suggest a business to be featured in the Business Spotlight, send an email to email@example.com or call (262) 446-6643.
JUST THE FACTS
BUSINESS: Monkey Business
ADDRESS: 19045 W. Capitol Drive, Brookfield
PHONE: (262) 439-8425
OWNERS: Ken and Mary Wick
TYPE OF BUSINESS: party supplies
PEARLS OF WISDOM: "Our mantra is to put more fun into people's lives."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Spring Bank risked weak economy but won big
- Having a party? Don't fret, decorative tableware rentals available
- Brand personality key to architecture
- Science, intuition work together at Campione Chiropractic
- All-natural, fresh made cookies are staple at Sweet!
- Dental practice remembers motto: 'Never treat a stranger'
- Geary Dentistry on cutting edge of dental techniques
- Success brewing at Fava Tea in Brookfield
- Decision to strike out on his own pays off for LePoidevin Marketing head
- E-Freight Courier service stands out with niche market, high standards
- United Driving School has personal approach to teaching students
- United Driving School aims for safe, confident motorists
- Skilled team makes variety possible at Trace-A-Matic
- Clark Associates touts strong partnerships as key
- Mother-daughter team specialize in creating invitations, stationary
- Medical spa offers customers youthful look
- Good vision not enough to ensure healthy eyes
- Spectrum changes with times to best serve clients
- Waukesha is latest location for Learning Rx
- Couple opens boxing club in Brookfield