Staring vacantly out his office window one day in late 2010, Ken Wick experienced a moment of clarity.
"I was day-dreaming about the future, thinking how I don't want to be working in the corporate world for 20 more years, when it suddenly came to me that I should start my own business," said Wick, who now co-owns Monkey Business, a party supply store and kids party venue in Brookfield with his wife, Mary. "So, I put together a business plan, attended night school at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, and in March of this year opened our store."
Located in the Sendik's Towne Centre in the 19000 block of West Capitol Drive, Monkey Business hosts children's theme parties and carries gifts, greeting cards and candy, in addition to a selection of party supplies and accessories.
The store's party room, extensive inventory and "fun factor" separates Monkey Business from its competitors, Wick said.
"We're bright, clean and have trendy products, like bacon Band-aids and mustache magnets, that you can't get elsewhere, as well as a party room, which other area party supply stores don't have," he said. "My experience as a consumer and working in the corporate world taught me that people need to be treated better. We want our store to be a fun place to visit. That's why everyone who enters our store is greeted warmly and every child receives a free balloon animal."
Open daily, Monkey Business' target market is females age 25 to 55, who have children and grandchildren, Wick said. In the meantime, Wick couldn't be happier with his transition from corporate life to the retail world.
"When a child smiles at me after I've made them a balloon animal, or a customer says that our store is cool and fun and that they'll be back, then I know our business is on the right track," he said.
If you would like to suggest a business to be featured in the Business Spotlight, send an email to email@example.com or call (262) 446-6643.
JUST THE FACTS
BUSINESS: Monkey Business
ADDRESS: 19045 W. Capitol Drive, Brookfield
PHONE: (262) 439-8425
OWNERS: Ken and Mary Wick
TYPE OF BUSINESS: party supplies
PEARLS OF WISDOM: "Our mantra is to put more fun into people's lives."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Business Spotlight: Healthworks Wellness Center in Brookfield
- Business Spotlight: Original Pancake House in Brookfield sticks to the tried and true
- Business Spotlight: Paper Envy is not a paper tiger in the personalized stationery business
- Business Spotlight: Renovators Ltd. of Elm Grove has a program for every construction job
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: 9Round fitness center
- Business Spotlight: From Panera to Blaze Pizza in Brookfield, franchise owner has succeeded again
- Brookfield's Pet Supplies Plus caters to a four-footed customer base
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Business Spotlight: Jamba Juice
- Business Spotlight: Taking pictures is easier today, but taking good pictures is not, as Mike Crivel
- Business Spotlight: Elite Sport & Spine LLC
- Brookfield's O' What a Day Cafe strives to make any day a good day to stop in
- Skateland, jut beyond Brookfield, proves an enduring attraction for a fun night out
- Business spotlight: Brookfield dry cleaner emphasizes efficiency and economy for customers
- Business Spotlight Employees make Brookfield's Half Price Books work in a changing literary world
- Business Spotlight: Shoe Carnival's goal is to make shopping fun
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: Chiropractor takes a full-body wellness approach
- Brookfield business sells, buys 'gently used' children's goods
- Business Spotlight: Return Engagement
- Grasch's continues its family tradition of quality groceries
- Brookfield promotional business advocates useful items, not trinkets