Staring vacantly out his office window one day in late 2010, Ken Wick experienced a moment of clarity.
"I was day-dreaming about the future, thinking how I don't want to be working in the corporate world for 20 more years, when it suddenly came to me that I should start my own business," said Wick, who now co-owns Monkey Business, a party supply store and kids party venue in Brookfield with his wife, Mary. "So, I put together a business plan, attended night school at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, and in March of this year opened our store."
Located in the Sendik's Towne Centre in the 19000 block of West Capitol Drive, Monkey Business hosts children's theme parties and carries gifts, greeting cards and candy, in addition to a selection of party supplies and accessories.
The store's party room, extensive inventory and "fun factor" separates Monkey Business from its competitors, Wick said.
"We're bright, clean and have trendy products, like bacon Band-aids and mustache magnets, that you can't get elsewhere, as well as a party room, which other area party supply stores don't have," he said. "My experience as a consumer and working in the corporate world taught me that people need to be treated better. We want our store to be a fun place to visit. That's why everyone who enters our store is greeted warmly and every child receives a free balloon animal."
Open daily, Monkey Business' target market is females age 25 to 55, who have children and grandchildren, Wick said. In the meantime, Wick couldn't be happier with his transition from corporate life to the retail world.
"When a child smiles at me after I've made them a balloon animal, or a customer says that our store is cool and fun and that they'll be back, then I know our business is on the right track," he said.
If you would like to suggest a business to be featured in the Business Spotlight, send an email to email@example.com or call (262) 446-6643.
JUST THE FACTS
BUSINESS: Monkey Business
ADDRESS: 19045 W. Capitol Drive, Brookfield
PHONE: (262) 439-8425
OWNERS: Ken and Mary Wick
TYPE OF BUSINESS: party supplies
PEARLS OF WISDOM: "Our mantra is to put more fun into people's lives."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Business Spotlight Employees make Brookfield's Half Price Books work in a changing literary world
- Business Spotlight: Shoe Carnival's goal is to make shopping fun
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: Chiropractor takes a full-body wellness approach
- Brookfield business sells, buys 'gently used' children's goods
- Business Spotlight: Return Engagement
- Grasch's continues its family tradition of quality groceries
- Brookfield promotional business advocates useful items, not trinkets
- Company helps people, businesses save on energy
- Karate American encourages healthy body, mind
- Fazio's chocolate shop a second chance at happiness
- Local art gallery boasts diversified collection
- Ballet school helps students move with grace, confidence
- Enhancing Light Cosmetic Laser comes to Elm Grove
- Matt Schultz's search for a franchise was led by the heart
- Retirement just didn't pan out for Pro Cast's owner
- Halen Homes young, but making mark
- Freedom Physical Therapy triples clinic size
- Drove over your cell phone? CPR may help
- Spring Bank risked weak economy but won big
- Having a party? Don't fret, decorative tableware rentals available