Staring vacantly out his office window one day in late 2010, Ken Wick experienced a moment of clarity.
"I was day-dreaming about the future, thinking how I don't want to be working in the corporate world for 20 more years, when it suddenly came to me that I should start my own business," said Wick, who now co-owns Monkey Business, a party supply store and kids party venue in Brookfield with his wife, Mary. "So, I put together a business plan, attended night school at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, and in March of this year opened our store."
Located in the Sendik's Towne Centre in the 19000 block of West Capitol Drive, Monkey Business hosts children's theme parties and carries gifts, greeting cards and candy, in addition to a selection of party supplies and accessories.
The store's party room, extensive inventory and "fun factor" separates Monkey Business from its competitors, Wick said.
"We're bright, clean and have trendy products, like bacon Band-aids and mustache magnets, that you can't get elsewhere, as well as a party room, which other area party supply stores don't have," he said. "My experience as a consumer and working in the corporate world taught me that people need to be treated better. We want our store to be a fun place to visit. That's why everyone who enters our store is greeted warmly and every child receives a free balloon animal."
Open daily, Monkey Business' target market is females age 25 to 55, who have children and grandchildren, Wick said. In the meantime, Wick couldn't be happier with his transition from corporate life to the retail world.
"When a child smiles at me after I've made them a balloon animal, or a customer says that our store is cool and fun and that they'll be back, then I know our business is on the right track," he said.
If you would like to suggest a business to be featured in the Business Spotlight, send an email to email@example.com or call (262) 446-6643.
JUST THE FACTS
BUSINESS: Monkey Business
ADDRESS: 19045 W. Capitol Drive, Brookfield
PHONE: (262) 439-8425
OWNERS: Ken and Mary Wick
TYPE OF BUSINESS: party supplies
PEARLS OF WISDOM: "Our mantra is to put more fun into people's lives."
- Business Spotlight: Bar Stars Bartending aims to put party hosts at ease
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: Hairstylist brings an art background to her work
- Business Spotlight: A hobby became a business for yarn shop founders
- Business Spotlight: FirstLight Home Care
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: Alli Troutman's veterinary clinic strives to be a place animals love
- Business Spotlight: A love of art and a love of space inspired architect's career choice
- Business Spotlight: Quilt shop was an opportunity they couldn't pass up
- Business Spotlight: Friends combined their talents to found Snapdragon Flowers of Elm Grove
- Business Spotlight: Family roots run deep at Biloba Brewing Co.
- Business Spotlight: Sheri Bauer wants to heal others like she healed herself
- Business Spotlight: Wayde Peronto's business takes pictures, and gives back
- Business Spotlight: North Star Catering takes the restaurant into the community
- Business Spotlight: A Savvy Bride in Brookfield strives to make a perfect day
- Business Spotlight: Jamie Durner sought fulfillment, and now helps others do the same
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: At the Fun Kids Dentist, the fun starts at age 1
- Early calling led to a practice in counseling
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Business Spotlight: Demand is strong at Self Storage of Goerkes Corners
- Business Spotlight: 3 realtors in 3 communities broadens the appeal
- Business Spotlight: Bowling is about families, including the Posnanski family at Bluemound Bowl
- Business Spotlight: Workout efficiency is stressed at Fitness Revolution