New Berlin - The New Berlin Plan Commission tabled a proposal for a Walmart supercenter at 15205-15375 W. Greenfield Ave. on Monday, at the request of Walmart attorney Deborah Tomczyk.
Walmart needs more time to address objections that residents brought up, she wrote to the commission. But Walmart plans to return at the commission's March 4 meeting.
"Walmart representatives have now had the benefit of citizen comments at both the Jan. 7 public hearing and a neighborhood meeting held Jan. 23," Tomczyk wrote. "Many attendees raised thoughtful issues which our team feels warrant further study."
Even though the Walmart proposal was tabled, many residents spoke to the commission about it, mainly repeating concerns raised earlier about traffic, making area flooding problems worse, light and noise.
Robert Christie, a potential Walmart neighbor, held up a photograph of a brightly lighted Walmart supercenter taken from the yard of a neighbor of the Muskego store and said, "This is what you want to put in my back yard."
Zoran Markovich of Carriage Lane who also spoke against the Walmart at the Jan. 7 hearing that took some three hours with no one speaking in favor, pleaded, "Listen to us."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Mystery Photo Contest: March 26
- Brookfield may alter zoning to make city more welcoming to health clubs
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: March 19
- Elm Grove establishes committee to explore fiber internet
- Elm Grove church irks residents with cell tower proposal
- Marcus looking into exiting Corners project
- Brookfield man charged with knife attack on mother, sister
- Brookfield girl may have been locked in basement by parents
- Brookfield's St. John Vianney School presents 'Shrek the Musical'
- In Our Schools: March 26, 2015