New Berlin - The New Berlin Plan Commission tabled a proposal for a Walmart supercenter at 15205-15375 W. Greenfield Ave. on Monday, at the request of Walmart attorney Deborah Tomczyk.
Walmart needs more time to address objections that residents brought up, she wrote to the commission. But Walmart plans to return at the commission's March 4 meeting.
"Walmart representatives have now had the benefit of citizen comments at both the Jan. 7 public hearing and a neighborhood meeting held Jan. 23," Tomczyk wrote. "Many attendees raised thoughtful issues which our team feels warrant further study."
Even though the Walmart proposal was tabled, many residents spoke to the commission about it, mainly repeating concerns raised earlier about traffic, making area flooding problems worse, light and noise.
Robert Christie, a potential Walmart neighbor, held up a photograph of a brightly lighted Walmart supercenter taken from the yard of a neighbor of the Muskego store and said, "This is what you want to put in my back yard."
Zoran Markovich of Carriage Lane who also spoke against the Walmart at the Jan. 7 hearing that took some three hours with no one speaking in favor, pleaded, "Listen to us."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: Aug. 27
- Brookfield couple's theater company keeps growing
- Brookfield police suspect wallet theft part of organized crime ring
- Elm Grove trustees endorse path as priority
- Elmbrook School District's ACT results reach all-time high (4)
- Elmbrook Humane Society waives certain adoption fees for National Bow Tie Day
- Longtime Elm Grove servant passes away
- Waukesha County endorses Poplar Creek project's conditional use permit
- School Notes: Aug. 27, 2015
- Brookfield East alumni unite in Madison business