New Berlin - The New Berlin Plan Commission tabled a proposal for a Walmart supercenter at 15205-15375 W. Greenfield Ave. on Monday, at the request of Walmart attorney Deborah Tomczyk.
Walmart needs more time to address objections that residents brought up, she wrote to the commission. But Walmart plans to return at the commission's March 4 meeting.
"Walmart representatives have now had the benefit of citizen comments at both the Jan. 7 public hearing and a neighborhood meeting held Jan. 23," Tomczyk wrote. "Many attendees raised thoughtful issues which our team feels warrant further study."
Even though the Walmart proposal was tabled, many residents spoke to the commission about it, mainly repeating concerns raised earlier about traffic, making area flooding problems worse, light and noise.
Robert Christie, a potential Walmart neighbor, held up a photograph of a brightly lighted Walmart supercenter taken from the yard of a neighbor of the Muskego store and said, "This is what you want to put in my back yard."
Zoran Markovich of Carriage Lane who also spoke against the Walmart at the Jan. 7 hearing that took some three hours with no one speaking in favor, pleaded, "Listen to us."
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Weekly Planner: May 5
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Things to Do: May 5
- Video: STEM Shuttle lands at St. Mary's in Elm Grove
- Green Bay Packers' Mason Crosby to visit Brookfield Square in support of breast cancer research
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: April 28
- City of Brookfield on fast pace toward reaching consultant's apartment projection (14)
- Brookfield Senior Meals: Week of May 2
- Ask Now: Freeway interchange at Calhoun?
- Elm Grove to establish citizen committee for Reinder's redevelopment proposal
- Two Brookfield Lutheran churches join together to form combined congregation (8)