Mike Jurken's event production company has grown considerably over the past 13 years - as has the owner himself.
In 1999, the then 12-year-old entrepreneur stored his equipment in a closet in his parents' basement. Today, only a 10,000-square-foot facility can house the assorted cables, lighting and other gear needed to keep his operation afloat.
Along the way, a minor assignment for a boy pop rock band helped take his Majic Enterprises to the next level.
"I started out as a deejay working school dances and weddings and kept it going when I went away to Florida for college," the Brookfield native said. "Then I got a small job for Hanson, which led to us getting incorporated and into the production end of the business, staging concerts and corporate meetings and parties."
Shortly thereafter, the University of Miami musical theater major said, he had so much business that he was obliged to juggle his class schedule in order to fly home to Wisconsin for long weekends to meet with prospective clients and complete jobs.
Finally, when weekly long-distance commuting proved too exhausting, Jurken transferred to the University of Wisconsin-Madison to complete his degree requirements and be closer to his venture. With more time to devote to Majic Enterprises, Jurken's company took yet another leap.
"I think our ability to do crazy things with lighting and sound makes us the most creative production company in the state," Jurken said of his 30-member staff. "We're always thinking of unique ways to impress clients, because we believe the customer is always right."
His customer service approach, he said, allows him to count such Fortune 500 companies as Northwestern Mutual and Harley Davidson among his long list of satisfied clients throughout the Midwest.
According to Jurken, Majic Enterprises already has exceeded its 2011 sales numbers and is poised to double last year's figures. While pleased with his company's success, he's anything but content.
"We strive to make every event perfect," he said, "because you're only as good as your last party."
For more information on Majic Enterprises, visit http://www.majicenterprises.com/
If you would like to suggest a business to be featured in the Business Spotlight, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (262) 446-6643.
JUST THE FACTS
BUSINESS: Majic Enterprises
ADDRESS: 3265 Gateway Road, Unit 200, Brookfield
PHONE: (414) 839-1760
OWNER/CEO: Mike Jurken
TYPE OF BUSINESS: event production
PEARLS OF WISDOM: "Do a good job tonight and the phone will ring tomorrow."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Local art gallery boasts diversified collection
- Ballet school helps students move with grace, confidence
- Enhancing Light Cosmetic Laser comes to Elm Grove
- Matt Schultz's search for a franchise was led by the heart
- Retirement just didn't pan out for Pro Cast's owner
- Halen Homes young, but making mark
- Freedom Physical Therapy triples clinic size
- Drove over your cell phone? CPR may help
- Spring Bank risked weak economy but won big
- Having a party? Don't fret, decorative tableware rentals available
- Brand personality key to architecture
- Science, intuition work together at Campione Chiropractic
- All-natural, fresh made cookies are staple at Sweet!
- Dental practice remembers motto: 'Never treat a stranger'
- Geary Dentistry on cutting edge of dental techniques
- Success brewing at Fava Tea in Brookfield
- Decision to strike out on his own pays off for LePoidevin Marketing head
- E-Freight Courier service stands out with niche market, high standards
- United Driving School has personal approach to teaching students
- United Driving School aims for safe, confident motorists