Mike Jurken's event production company has grown considerably over the past 13 years - as has the owner himself.
In 1999, the then 12-year-old entrepreneur stored his equipment in a closet in his parents' basement. Today, only a 10,000-square-foot facility can house the assorted cables, lighting and other gear needed to keep his operation afloat.
Along the way, a minor assignment for a boy pop rock band helped take his Majic Enterprises to the next level.
"I started out as a deejay working school dances and weddings and kept it going when I went away to Florida for college," the Brookfield native said. "Then I got a small job for Hanson, which led to us getting incorporated and into the production end of the business, staging concerts and corporate meetings and parties."
Shortly thereafter, the University of Miami musical theater major said, he had so much business that he was obliged to juggle his class schedule in order to fly home to Wisconsin for long weekends to meet with prospective clients and complete jobs.
Finally, when weekly long-distance commuting proved too exhausting, Jurken transferred to the University of Wisconsin-Madison to complete his degree requirements and be closer to his venture. With more time to devote to Majic Enterprises, Jurken's company took yet another leap.
"I think our ability to do crazy things with lighting and sound makes us the most creative production company in the state," Jurken said of his 30-member staff. "We're always thinking of unique ways to impress clients, because we believe the customer is always right."
His customer service approach, he said, allows him to count such Fortune 500 companies as Northwestern Mutual and Harley Davidson among his long list of satisfied clients throughout the Midwest.
According to Jurken, Majic Enterprises already has exceeded its 2011 sales numbers and is poised to double last year's figures. While pleased with his company's success, he's anything but content.
"We strive to make every event perfect," he said, "because you're only as good as your last party."
For more information on Majic Enterprises, visit http://www.majicenterprises.com/
If you would like to suggest a business to be featured in the Business Spotlight, send an email to email@example.com or call (262) 446-6643.
JUST THE FACTS
BUSINESS: Majic Enterprises
ADDRESS: 3265 Gateway Road, Unit 200, Brookfield
PHONE: (414) 839-1760
OWNER/CEO: Mike Jurken
TYPE OF BUSINESS: event production
PEARLS OF WISDOM: "Do a good job tonight and the phone will ring tomorrow."
- Business Spotlight: Bar Stars Bartending aims to put party hosts at ease
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: Hairstylist brings an art background to her work
- Business Spotlight: A hobby became a business for yarn shop founders
- Business Spotlight: FirstLight Home Care
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: Alli Troutman's veterinary clinic strives to be a place animals love
- Business Spotlight: A love of art and a love of space inspired architect's career choice
- Business Spotlight: Quilt shop was an opportunity they couldn't pass up
- Business Spotlight: Friends combined their talents to found Snapdragon Flowers of Elm Grove
- Business Spotlight: Family roots run deep at Biloba Brewing Co.
- Business Spotlight: Sheri Bauer wants to heal others like she healed herself
- Business Spotlight: Wayde Peronto's business takes pictures, and gives back
- Business Spotlight: North Star Catering takes the restaurant into the community
- Business Spotlight: A Savvy Bride in Brookfield strives to make a perfect day
- Business Spotlight: Jamie Durner sought fulfillment, and now helps others do the same
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: At the Fun Kids Dentist, the fun starts at age 1
- Early calling led to a practice in counseling
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Business Spotlight: Demand is strong at Self Storage of Goerkes Corners
- Business Spotlight: 3 realtors in 3 communities broadens the appeal
- Business Spotlight: Bowling is about families, including the Posnanski family at Bluemound Bowl
- Business Spotlight: Workout efficiency is stressed at Fitness Revolution