Unlike the scores of other business opportunities that Jeff Lex considered trading his pharmaceutical sales career for, he never thought twice about entering the caregiving profession. The venture appealed to him personally, as well as professionally.
"I wanted something that was about making a difference, rather than just making numbers," said the franchise owner of ComForcare Senior Services of Brookfield, which provides professional personal care and companionship services for clients in independent-living facilities or in their own homes.
"When this opportunity came up, I immediately thought of my grandmother."
In 2004, Lex's grandmother, Sylvia, passed away. Her final years left a lasting impression on her grandson.
"Nursing homes have their place, but toward the end of my grandmother's life, she didn't want to be in one, so it was very depressing for her and my family," he said. "I wish my grandmother had been able to benefit from ComForcare's in-home services, but at least I can help other people experience them."
Available to residents in Milwaukee, Waukesha and southern Ozaukee counties, ComForcare's staff of certified nursing assistants administers up to around-the-clock, non-medical services, such as meal preparation, safety supervision and hygiene care for clients ranging from senior citizens to new mothers and individuals with disabilities.
Lex inherited four clients when he bought the franchise in late 2009, and that number has since swelled to more than 30. He attributes the rapid growth to regular face-to-face meetings with prospective clients, networking within the caregiver industry and the skill of his nursing staff.
"The nurses who are assigned to each case do a great job performing initial assessments, like making sure a senior citizen's shower is safe and collaborating with families to develop practical care plans," Lex said. "They're also very diligent in overseeing our CNAs to ensure that those plans are followed.
"Our staff - and the recent discount prescription drug program that ComForcare implemented - has made this business very personally rewarding for me."
If you would like to suggest a business to be featured, email email@example.com.
JUST THE FACTS
BUSINESS: ComForcare Senior Services of Brookfield
ADDRESS: 200 S. Executive Drive
PHONE: (414) 282-8606
OWNER: Jeff Lex
PEARLS OF WISDOM: "People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care." - Dale Carnegie
- Business Spotlight: Bar Stars Bartending aims to put party hosts at ease
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: Hairstylist brings an art background to her work
- Business Spotlight: A hobby became a business for yarn shop founders
- Business Spotlight: FirstLight Home Care
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: Alli Troutman's veterinary clinic strives to be a place animals love
- Business Spotlight: A love of art and a love of space inspired architect's career choice
- Business Spotlight: Quilt shop was an opportunity they couldn't pass up
- Business Spotlight: Friends combined their talents to found Snapdragon Flowers of Elm Grove
- Business Spotlight: Family roots run deep at Biloba Brewing Co.
- Business Spotlight: Sheri Bauer wants to heal others like she healed herself
- Business Spotlight: Wayde Peronto's business takes pictures, and gives back
- Business Spotlight: North Star Catering takes the restaurant into the community
- Business Spotlight: A Savvy Bride in Brookfield strives to make a perfect day
- Business Spotlight: Jamie Durner sought fulfillment, and now helps others do the same
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: At the Fun Kids Dentist, the fun starts at age 1
- Early calling led to a practice in counseling
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Business Spotlight: Demand is strong at Self Storage of Goerkes Corners
- Business Spotlight: 3 realtors in 3 communities broadens the appeal
- Business Spotlight: Bowling is about families, including the Posnanski family at Bluemound Bowl
- Business Spotlight: Workout efficiency is stressed at Fitness Revolution