Kristin Olson has been in the fitness industry for more than a decade, but only in the last eight years has she seen her clients gain significantly more results in less time.
"I started my career as a personal trainer, but when I found that my clients weren't getting value out of their gym workout sessions, I did some research and discovered Pilates," said Olson, who opened Absolute Pilates in Brookfield in 2004. "Unlike gym workouts, which segment muscle groups, Pilates views the body as a whole system working as one."
Created by German-born Joseph Pilates in the early 20th century, Pilates employs a series of controlled body movements and resistance training that builds lean muscles and a strong core and back, while developing proper breathing techniques to relieve stress.
Olson said that while many variations of Pilates exist, her studio practices the traditional form.
"It's very difficult to obtain a certification in the purist form of Pilates, but it's worth it," said the ex-gymnast with a Bachelor of Science degree in kinesiology. "The classical approach lets us teach the complete system of exercises that Joseph Pilates used, so our clients can get the utmost out of their workouts."
Located in Stonewood Village, Absolute Pilates conducts private and group sessions for beginners and advanced students, who range in age from pre-teens to senior citizens. Olson and her team of instructors also perform injury rehabilitation on clients, who have advanced beyond physical therapy.
"It brings me great joy to see the improvement my clients make from session to session," Olson said.
If you would like to suggest a business to be featured in the Business Spotlight, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (262) 446-6643.
JUST THE FACTS
BUSINESS: Absolute Pilates
ADDRESS: Stonewood Village-Bedford House 17700 W. Capitol Drive, Brookfield
PHONE: (262) 617-0731
OWNER: Kristin Olson
TYPE OF BUSINESS: fitness
PEARLS OF WISDOM: "You will feel different after 10 sessions, see a difference after 20 and have an entirely new body after 30." - Joseph Pilates
- Business Spotlight: Bar Stars Bartending aims to put party hosts at ease
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: Hairstylist brings an art background to her work
- Business Spotlight: A hobby became a business for yarn shop founders
- Business Spotlight: FirstLight Home Care
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: Alli Troutman's veterinary clinic strives to be a place animals love
- Business Spotlight: A love of art and a love of space inspired architect's career choice
- Business Spotlight: Quilt shop was an opportunity they couldn't pass up
- Business Spotlight: Friends combined their talents to found Snapdragon Flowers of Elm Grove
- Business Spotlight: Family roots run deep at Biloba Brewing Co.
- Business Spotlight: Sheri Bauer wants to heal others like she healed herself
- Business Spotlight: Wayde Peronto's business takes pictures, and gives back
- Business Spotlight: North Star Catering takes the restaurant into the community
- Business Spotlight: A Savvy Bride in Brookfield strives to make a perfect day
- Business Spotlight: Jamie Durner sought fulfillment, and now helps others do the same
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: At the Fun Kids Dentist, the fun starts at age 1
- Early calling led to a practice in counseling
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Business Spotlight: Demand is strong at Self Storage of Goerkes Corners
- Business Spotlight: 3 realtors in 3 communities broadens the appeal
- Business Spotlight: Bowling is about families, including the Posnanski family at Bluemound Bowl
- Business Spotlight: Workout efficiency is stressed at Fitness Revolution