Stephen Betts may be partial to his confectionery store's products, but the co-owner of Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory relies on more than just his own taste buds when talking up the sugary treats.
"You can't find a better chocolate than ours - not even in Belgium," said Betts, of the Brookfield franchise he manages with partner Steven Morris. "We've had people from Europe here and they've said the chocolate at our store is the same as they get at home. That's high praise. Closer to home, we've had customers drive all the way from upper Wisconsin just to buy our chocolate."
Rocky Mountain's loyal customers are drawn to its distinctive brand of chocolate, Betts said.
"I love the quality of our chocolate," Betts said. "The finishing notes in it are just like those found in wine. It's rich, creamy and not bitter, so you don't need to eat that much of it in order to feel satisfied."
Located in the heart of Brookfield Square Mall, Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory opened in late 2011. The store is one of the latest additions to the Durango, Colo.-based operation, which numbers close to 300 franchises worldwide.
Betts, who was previously employed in the interior design field, was sold on a future in the candy business after working at his sister and brother-in-law's Rocky Mountain franchise in Galena, Ill.
"I liked seeing that their headquarters wasn't hands-on, so if I entered into a franchise I'd be able to run it as I chose without being saddled by corporate rules," Betts said. "That freedom has enabled me to continue to keep a hand in interior design as a part-time consultant, while working full-time in a much more stable market."
The candy market, Betts adds, also allows him to feed his artistic side, as Rocky Mountain features more than 300 varieties of handmade chocolates and confections.
"It's fun to express myself through making chocolate creations," Morris said. "Especially, because who doesn't love chocolate? If you're feeling down, chocolate perks you up. And since dark chocolate's proven to have health benefits, there's no reason not to indulge in it."
For more information on the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory, visit rmcf.com/WI/Brookfield50847.
If you would like to suggest a business to be featured in the Business Spotlight, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
JUST THE FACTS
NAME:Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory
ADDRESS: Brookfield Square, 95 N. Moorland Road
PHONE: (262) 784-1738
OWNERS: Stephen Betts and Steven Morris
TYPE OF BUSINESS: confections
PEARLS OF WISDOM: "What better way to leave your mark in this world than to have other people say great things about you."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Local art gallery boasts diversified collection
- Ballet school helps students move with grace, confidence
- Enhancing Light Cosmetic Laser comes to Elm Grove
- Matt Schultz's search for a franchise was led by the heart
- Retirement just didn't pan out for Pro Cast's owner
- Halen Homes young, but making mark
- Freedom Physical Therapy triples clinic size
- Drove over your cell phone? CPR may help
- Spring Bank risked weak economy but won big
- Having a party? Don't fret, decorative tableware rentals available
- Brand personality key to architecture
- Science, intuition work together at Campione Chiropractic
- All-natural, fresh made cookies are staple at Sweet!
- Dental practice remembers motto: 'Never treat a stranger'
- Geary Dentistry on cutting edge of dental techniques
- Success brewing at Fava Tea in Brookfield
- Decision to strike out on his own pays off for LePoidevin Marketing head
- E-Freight Courier service stands out with niche market, high standards
- United Driving School has personal approach to teaching students
- United Driving School aims for safe, confident motorists