Stephen Betts may be partial to his confectionery store's products, but the co-owner of Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory relies on more than just his own taste buds when talking up the sugary treats.
"You can't find a better chocolate than ours - not even in Belgium," said Betts, of the Brookfield franchise he manages with partner Steven Morris. "We've had people from Europe here and they've said the chocolate at our store is the same as they get at home. That's high praise. Closer to home, we've had customers drive all the way from upper Wisconsin just to buy our chocolate."
Rocky Mountain's loyal customers are drawn to its distinctive brand of chocolate, Betts said.
"I love the quality of our chocolate," Betts said. "The finishing notes in it are just like those found in wine. It's rich, creamy and not bitter, so you don't need to eat that much of it in order to feel satisfied."
Located in the heart of Brookfield Square Mall, Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory opened in late 2011. The store is one of the latest additions to the Durango, Colo.-based operation, which numbers close to 300 franchises worldwide.
Betts, who was previously employed in the interior design field, was sold on a future in the candy business after working at his sister and brother-in-law's Rocky Mountain franchise in Galena, Ill.
"I liked seeing that their headquarters wasn't hands-on, so if I entered into a franchise I'd be able to run it as I chose without being saddled by corporate rules," Betts said. "That freedom has enabled me to continue to keep a hand in interior design as a part-time consultant, while working full-time in a much more stable market."
The candy market, Betts adds, also allows him to feed his artistic side, as Rocky Mountain features more than 300 varieties of handmade chocolates and confections.
"It's fun to express myself through making chocolate creations," Morris said. "Especially, because who doesn't love chocolate? If you're feeling down, chocolate perks you up. And since dark chocolate's proven to have health benefits, there's no reason not to indulge in it."
For more information on the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory, visit rmcf.com/WI/Brookfield50847.
If you would like to suggest a business to be featured in the Business Spotlight, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
JUST THE FACTS
NAME:Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory
ADDRESS: Brookfield Square, 95 N. Moorland Road
PHONE: (262) 784-1738
OWNERS: Stephen Betts and Steven Morris
TYPE OF BUSINESS: confections
PEARLS OF WISDOM: "What better way to leave your mark in this world than to have other people say great things about you."
- Business Spotlight: Bar Stars Bartending aims to put party hosts at ease
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: Hairstylist brings an art background to her work
- Business Spotlight: A hobby became a business for yarn shop founders
- Business Spotlight: FirstLight Home Care
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: Alli Troutman's veterinary clinic strives to be a place animals love
- Business Spotlight: A love of art and a love of space inspired architect's career choice
- Business Spotlight: Quilt shop was an opportunity they couldn't pass up
- Business Spotlight: Friends combined their talents to found Snapdragon Flowers of Elm Grove
- Business Spotlight: Family roots run deep at Biloba Brewing Co.
- Business Spotlight: Sheri Bauer wants to heal others like she healed herself
- Business Spotlight: Wayde Peronto's business takes pictures, and gives back
- Business Spotlight: North Star Catering takes the restaurant into the community
- Business Spotlight: A Savvy Bride in Brookfield strives to make a perfect day
- Business Spotlight: Jamie Durner sought fulfillment, and now helps others do the same
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: At the Fun Kids Dentist, the fun starts at age 1
- Early calling led to a practice in counseling
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Business Spotlight: Demand is strong at Self Storage of Goerkes Corners
- Business Spotlight: 3 realtors in 3 communities broadens the appeal
- Business Spotlight: Bowling is about families, including the Posnanski family at Bluemound Bowl
- Business Spotlight: Workout efficiency is stressed at Fitness Revolution