It's rare enough when a restaurant features one ingredient, but when the name of that ingredient is also in the name of the restaurant, well, that's a bold move.
Therein lies the marketing strategy of Saloon on Calhoun with Bacon. That's right, they love bacon - because they know that lots of customers love bacon as well.
Located at the northeast corner of Capitol Drive and Calhoun Road in Brookfield, Saloon on Calhoun with Bacon is in the US Bank Building parking lot. It was opened one year ago by owner Dave Dayler. Jennine Paoli is the general manager, having also worked in that same location for several years.
"We are a bar first and then a restaurant, but we're changing that around," Paoli said. "People are falling in love with our food because it's far above pub fare."
Admittedly, Saloon on Calhoun with Bacon is a sports bar, but the menu is extensive enough (and unique enough with the bacon twist) that most will find something to satisfy their appetite.
Some of the most popular dishes include the All Star Burgers ($6.50 to $8) and the Grown Up Grilled Cheese ($7.50). Any dish can be served with or without bacon ... including some of the drinks! Also popular are Louie's Championship Wings ($8), which feature handmade sauces and come in different levels of spiciness.
And if you really love bacon, you might want to check out happy hour, from 4 to 7 p.m. weekdays, which features all-you-can-eat bacon. (Cardiologist not included.)
"We are a fun sports bar," Paoli said. "We call ourselves the Brookfield 'Cheers' because I know all the regulars. I want everyone to come out, have a blast and experience consistency, quality and cleanliness."
LOOKING TO 'GRAB A BITE'?
"Grab a Bite" is an informal look at the food scene in the Wauwatosa, Brookfield and Elm Grove area by freelance writer Karen Waldkirch. Whether you're looking for a place for a date night or a casual spot for lunch, Waldkirch will be out and about scouting eateries for you. If you have a suggestion for a column, email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
NAME: Saloon on Calhoun with Bacon
ADDRESS: 17000 W. Capitol Drive, Brookfield
FARE: pub food
HOURS: food service from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday through Saturday, 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Sunday; appetizer and wing menu available until midnight, Monday through Saturday
PRICE RANGE: $4 to $12 (approximate)
HANDICAP ACCESS: yes
GLUTEN-FREE OPTIONS: no (but they offer two gluten-free beers)
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Colonel Hart's: A true neighborhood hangout
- Caroline's, with homemade lunch and sweets just like mom made
- Ted's: It's Cheers without the beers
- Penelope's: A labor of love in heart of Elm Grove
- Drink in a bit of island life at Jimmy's Island Grill and Iguana Bar in Wauwatosa
- North Avenue Grill Same name, new owner
- North Avenue Grill: Same name, new owner
- Andrea's Red Rooster a spot for business or casual dining
- Highlands Café: Tosa natives expand restaurant
- Café Hollander: Upscale and Belgian-themed
- Jose's Blue Sombrero has tableside fun with a Mexican flair
- Balistreri's: The secret is in the staff and the recipes
- Slim McGinn's West a touch of Irish hospitality in Brookfield
- The Open Hearth a cozy 'easy chair' for generations of diners
- John's Sandwich Shop: A neighborhood favorite for nearly 50 years
- Murf's a tucked-away jewel offering great value in Brookfield
- Hui's: Classic Cantonese and an extended family
- 8-Twelve offers big-league menu, farm-to-table food
- Rocket Baby: Delighting with artisan bakery
- Tusa Restaurant & Tavern: Old-fashioned Italian value