Brookfield residents are cautioned against a phone scam resurfacing this month.
Last week, at least four city of Brookfield residents were the victims of fraudulent calls that featured the caller impersonating a police officer. The caller then told the recipient that they had run a red light or missed their jury duty date and that the "officer" was going to put a warrant out for their arrest unless funds were transferred by the recipient of the calls using Vanilla Reload cards.
"We went through this about three to six months ago and we believe all the calls are coming from outside the country," Brookfield Police Department Captain Phil Horter said. "We don't have any leads."
Horter suggests suspicious calls from someone claiming to be a police officer work the same way as calls from people impersonating a bank asking for account information.
"Don't reply to these calls or make any payments until you call the appropriate agency. If somebody calls and says this is the city of Brookfield police, hang up, and call us," Horter said.
Last week, the callers misrepresented themselves as agents of the Port Washington Police Department and the Ozaukee County Police Department.
Horter noted that police have not been able to identify any pattern between the residents receiving the calls.
"We don't know where they're getting their list of potential victims," Horter said. "If you receive a suspicious call, hang up and call the agency."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Weekly Planner: Nov. 27
- Brookfield and Elm Grove News & Notes: Nov. 27
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: Nov. 27
- Ask Now: Are there any plans for the Old Toll Road Village site in Brookfield?
- Town of Brookfield officials remain confident despite slow pace on The Corners
- Brookfield man nears end of quest to run a marathon in every state
- C.A.R.I.N.G. Group Elmbrook fundraiser initiative connects local businesses with area schools
- Brookfield water utility lead operator wins award with invention
- Elmbrook Education Foundation's annual Ladies Night fundraiser to help meet $100K goal
- Brookfield Church donates, packages over 1,000 Thanksgiving meals