The Facebook page that raised the ire of parents and other supporters of special education students appeared to be taken down by 3 p.m. Jan. 4, hours after an article about the site appeared on JSOnline, BrookfieldNOW.com and ElmGroveNOW.com.
Prior to the disappearance, "Brookfield Biitches," which included a profile picture that poked fun at Special Olympics athletes, was slowly beginning to lose friends who had attached their names and profiles to the site.
The 556 names had been reduced to 547 within several hours after NOW posted the story depicting the strong disapproval of the site among Elmbrook School District parents and staff members.
"I'm not all that surprised," said Pat McKenna, a Wauwatosa-based Internet consultant, regarding the page's disappearance.
"It's just another example of the power of social media."
"I'm sure a lot of people will be happy about this," said Sally Flaschberger, a special-education parent who is a member of the district's special education advisory board and an advocacy specialist at the nonprofit Disability Rights Wisconsin.
"We'll still need to do some education to students around the sensitivity to special education."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brookfield Suites announces reflag to Embassy Suites, multi-million dollar renovation (1)
- Uber, Elmbrook Humane Society team up to deliver puppies Friday
- Mystery Photo Contest: Feb. 11
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: Feb. 11
- Brookfield plan commission recommends approval of Milwaukee Tool public financing (1)
- In Brief: Alleged shooter in drive-by shooting pleads not guilty
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Meetings: Feb. 11
- Brookfield woman with Down Syndrome aims for independence (2)
- Grasch family to retire from grocery business; Brookfield store to be taken over by Sendik's (6)
- Brookfield Ask Now: Is there any thought of banning dogs at the farmers market? (4)