It's probable that not many people knew Cale Vogel during his first stint at Brookfield East High School.
It was a short one, after all; he was only at the school for a semester as a student teacher, teaching social studies in 2003.
But as the new athletic and activities director, that will change.
"I know a couple people from that time as some of the teachers in that (curriculum) are still here, which helps," Vogel said. "But it's a big school and even some of the teachers that were here I don't remember."
Vogel comes to Brookfield East from Lake Mills High School, where he served many roles. He taught social studies and was the boys basketball coach for six years where he accumulated an 85-52 record.
Vogel served as the athletic director for four years during this tenure there.
But when former athletic and activities director Corey Golla left to become the principal at Menomonee Falls High School, Vogel had the opportunity to return to East.
"It was really the right time, right place," Vogel said. "It's really just a coincidence."
The fact that East has a strong sports tradition as well as academic tradition helped his decision-making as well.
He will do a lot of observing in his first year before building on his goals of keeping up the facilities, maintaining sponsorships and being proactive in making the athletic code more meaningful so the student-athletes are leaders on and off the floor.
Vogel played sports at Watertown High School and continued playing basketball at Cardinal Stritch University. He later served as a graduate assistant for the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater men's basketball team while he earned his master's degree in curriculum and instruction with an emphasis in physical education, health and athletic coaching.
Although the 35-year-old continues to live in Lake Mills and will make the 45-minute commute to East as well as to UW-Madison as he finishes another master's degree in educational leadership, he is looking forward to meeting the Brookfield East community this year.
WHAT:New Brookfield East Athletic Director
FAMILY:wife, Emily; sons, Jack, 4, and Charlie, 2
HOBBIES:sprint triathlons, golfing
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Elm Grove's new recreation director brings varied experiences
- Trimble takes over as meal program coordinator at Brookfield Senior Center
- Wehrley quickly rising through the ranks in the entertainment business
- Revers' diverse music résumé on full display at St. John Vianney
- Smyczek's tennis career heading in right direction
- Maguire honored for faith-based service
- MacLeod leads quilting club at Brookfield Senior Center
- Gordon thrilled to be new St. John Vianney principal
- Martin excited to be leading Brookfield East's athletic program
- Brookfield Central grad to tell musical story from Broadway career
- Balsiger makes name for himself with restoration work over years
- Brookfield mom sets record, raises money for LifeStriders
- Wightman finds magic in his novel, 'Pepperland'
- Brookfield mother, daughter create worldwide fundraiser to help Boston Marathon victims
- Believe coach spreads positive energy around area
- Haney honored for giving children gift of music
- Marter finds joy in Elmbrook ministry partner program
- Elm Grove woman earns award for helping others succeed
- Elm Grove's Larry Sorce ready to be your next volunteer
- Professional dancer brings ballet talents to Brookfield church