The head football coach and Director of Alumni Relations at Marquette University High School was arrested April 1 for drunken driving. Jeffrey "Maz" Mazurczak was stopped by Elm Grove police just after 2 a.m. April 1 after he was seen driving erratically on Bluemound Road.
According to the police report, Mazurczak failed a field sobriety test and was taken to the Elm Grove Police Department for a blood toxicity test. He had a blood-alcohol content of 0.11. He was booked for drunken driving and released to his wife just before 4 a.m.
Kriss Schulz, vice president of communications and planning at MUHS, said the school is aware of the situation "and the administration will take appropriate action following thorough review of the facts.
"We're still in the process of reviewing the situation," she said.
The administrators who need to decide what that "appropriate action" will be are out of town as it is spring break. Mazurczak reports to Athletic Director Bob Herman and Principal Jeff Monday. Schulz is unsure if the president of the school will be involved in determining what action the school will take.
Calls to Mazurczak, as well as the athletic director, human resources director and principal went unreturned.
The case has been referred to Elm Grove municipal court where a hearing is set for May 9.
The Marquette football team went 7-2 last season, Mazurczak's second as head coach. Mazurczak, a 1982 graduate of the school, was an assistant under former coach Dick Basham for 20 years. He was the team's defensive coordinator when Marquette won the state title in 2009.
Basham retired after the season and Mazurczak took over as head coach.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Elmbrook School District likely to cut 25-30 positions
- Brookfield mother, daughter create worldwide fundraiser to help Boston Marathon victims
- Police report: May 21
- Despite Elm Grove residents' concerns, Juneau Pathway approved Monday
- Loaded handgun taken from unlocked car in Brookfield
- Ask NOW: When will the Capitol Drive construction be over?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove police join national Click It or Ticket campaign
- Pilgrim Park students' rocket takes first at regional competition
- Water main project in Elm Grove could cause delays
- In Our Schools: May 20