Two words probably come to mind when you think of Jose's Blue Sombrero - tableside guacamole. Hands-down, it's the most popular item anywhere on the menu of this Brookfield Mexican restaurant.
Opened in 2006, Jose's takes its name from the owner - Joe DeRosa. (DeRosa corporation is a local restaurant group that also owns Chancery, Parkside 23 and Eddie Martini's.) Located at the corner of Bluemound and Barker, Jose's has become a favorite destination of diners looking for fresh Mexican food in a casual atmosphere. The Tableside Guacamole ($7.99) and Tableside Sangria ($9-18.00) are just two unique touches that Jose's offers.
"Along with our guacamole, we're known for serving really good Mexican food," says Diego Vazquez, Manager of Jose's. "People like our food and our service. We offer casual Mexican dining. It's also a good place for families."
According to Vazquez, Jose's Blue Sombrero is well-known for their wide selection of tacos. One of the favorite choices is the Chicken, Bacon & Chorizo Tacos ($9.99.) Another popular dish is the Blue Seafood Burritos ($14.99.)
The Jose's menu and décor are peppered with trendy artwork, pop culture references and unusual sayings such as "Hip, cheap and no sleep" or "Never on Sunday" which actually refers to the restaurant's day of rest - Sunday. "We are closed on Sundays so that employees can spend the day with their families," explains Vazquez. "People wish we were open, but the employees really appreciate it."
The atmosphere is fun (you'll get a Spanish lesson if you visit the restroom) and the food is plentiful. Just be sure you don't get in the way of the guacamole or sangria carts - hungry and thirsty patrons might not appreciate it.
NAME: Jose's Blue Sombrero
ADDRESS: 20371 W. Bluemound Road, Brookfield
PHONE: (262) 432-6667
HOURS: Monday - Thursday 11am-10pm, Friday & Saturday 11am-11am (bar open later Monday -Saturday.)
PRICE RANGE: $6-$20 (approximate)
RESERVATIONS: Lunch - yes. Dinner - call ahead only.
HANDICAP ACCESS: Yes
GLUTEN-FREE OPTIONS: Yes
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Jake's: More than just steak and potatoes
- Sherbrooke: A bit of Canada right in Tosa, eh
- Colonel Hart's: A true neighborhood hangout
- Caroline's, with homemade lunch and sweets just like mom made
- Ted's: It's Cheers without the beers
- Penelope's: A labor of love in heart of Elm Grove
- Drink in a bit of island life at Jimmy's Island Grill and Iguana Bar in Wauwatosa
- North Avenue Grill Same name, new owner
- North Avenue Grill: Same name, new owner
- Andrea's Red Rooster a spot for business or casual dining
- Highlands Café: Tosa natives expand restaurant
- Café Hollander: Upscale and Belgian-themed
- Balistreri's: The secret is in the staff and the recipes
- Slim McGinn's West a touch of Irish hospitality in Brookfield
- The Open Hearth a cozy 'easy chair' for generations of diners
- Saloon on Calhoun with Bacon: The name says it all
- John's Sandwich Shop: A neighborhood favorite for nearly 50 years
- Murf's a tucked-away jewel offering great value in Brookfield
- Hui's: Classic Cantonese and an extended family
- 8-Twelve offers big-league menu, farm-to-table food