An extended-stay Hilton hotel could be constructed west of the Hampton Inn on the northwest corner of Bluemound and Barker roads, pending a public hearing on a request to rezone the proposed development site.
Following a positive recommendation from the town of Brookfield Plan Commission on Tuesday, the Town Board will take action at its next meeting to schedule a public hearing on rezoning the 3.1-acre property from office and professional business, to limited general business use.
With an estimated project cost of $11 million, the proposed four-story Home2 Suites hotel would include 107 guestrooms, a combined laundry and fitness area, and a swimming pool. Studio guestroom units begin at just under 325 square feet and one-bedroom suites range in size up to about 490 square feet, according to a project overview submitted to the town. Suites would include a kitchen area with a full-sized refrigerator/freezer, dishwasher, microwave oven and coffeemaker.
Home2 Suites is a new Hilton brand that, according to the project overview, targets "travel savvy" guests with an "edgy, upscale brand offering and price point." The company expects to have 38 Home2 Suites open in North America by this summer, with another 63 in the works.
Planning and Zoning Administrator Gary Lake said the hotel proposed for the town would be the second Home2 Suites planned for the Milwaukee metro area, with another to be developed just south of the airport.
The hotel would not be in the town's tax-incremental financing district, Town Administrator Rick Czopp said, so property tax revenue from the project would go directly to the town's budget.
"I think it's an excellent project," Czopp said. "It shows that this area is vibrant for redevelopment. It just falls in line with the Corners project and the other redevelopment we have in this area."
Hilton anticipates beginning construction on the hotel by next spring, and opening by the spring of 2016. The hotel would be operated by Kinseth Hotel Corp.
WHAT:Brookfield Town Board to set public hearing date for Home2 Suites extended-stay hotel proposed at Bluemound and Barker roads
WHEN: 7 p.m. Tuesday, May 6
WHERE: Town Hall, 645 N. Janacek Road
- Green Bay Packers' Mason Crosby to visit Brookfield Square in support of breast cancer research
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: April 28
- City of Brookfield on fast pace toward reaching consultant's apartment projection (14)
- Brookfield Senior Meals: Week of May 2
- Ask Now: Freeway interchange at Calhoun?
- Elm Grove to establish citizen committee for Reinder's redevelopment proposal
- Two Brookfield Lutheran churches join together to form combined congregation (5)
- Brookfield-Elm Grove In Our Schools: April 28
- Business Spotlight: When things aren't working right, hormone therapy may be called for
- Brookfield Senior Meals: Week of April 25