City of Brookfield residents are using so much water trying to keep their lawns green that city officials said they may need to impose a complete ban on sprinkling if people don't voluntarily reduce their water use.
When too much water gets drawn out of the system, it endangers the Water Utility's ability to keep enough water in the system for drinking water and fire protection needs, officials said in a news release today.
Residents are being asked to obey outdoor sprinkling rules before a ban becomes necessary.
The rules for sprinkling are: Sprinkling is allowed by properties with even-numbered addresses on even-numbered days of the year and by properties with odd-numbered addresses on odd-numbered days of the year before 9 a.m. and after 6 p.m. on the designated day. Automatic sprinklers should be adjusted accordingly.
There are some exemptions permitted including:
hand-watering of newly established lawns, shrubs or trees.
golf courses that draw water from on-site retention ponds.
It should also be noted that the watering restriction during the day is not intended to limit children from running through a sprinkler on a hot day.
Failure to obey these rules can result in a citation from the city.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brookfield panel recommends approval of public assistance for Milwaukee Tool expansion
- Brookfield East welcomes 'The Music Man' into winter theater production
- Brookfield and Elm Grove News IQ: Nov. 19
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: Nov. 26
- Fairview South's annual Silent Auction and Craft Fair to raise funds for school iPads
- In Brief: Nov. 26
- Brookfield and Elm Grove meetings: Nov. 26
- City of Brookfield to discuss potential financial aid for Milwaukee Tool expansion
- Suspect in Brookfield drive-by shooting charged in federal court for possession of a firearm
- Brookfield, Elm Grove police honored by American Legion