City of Brookfield residents are using so much water trying to keep their lawns green that city officials said they may need to impose a complete ban on sprinkling if people don't voluntarily reduce their water use.
When too much water gets drawn out of the system, it endangers the Water Utility's ability to keep enough water in the system for drinking water and fire protection needs, officials said in a news release today.
Residents are being asked to obey outdoor sprinkling rules before a ban becomes necessary.
The rules for sprinkling are: Sprinkling is allowed by properties with even-numbered addresses on even-numbered days of the year and by properties with odd-numbered addresses on odd-numbered days of the year before 9 a.m. and after 6 p.m. on the designated day. Automatic sprinklers should be adjusted accordingly.
There are some exemptions permitted including:
hand-watering of newly established lawns, shrubs or trees.
golf courses that draw water from on-site retention ponds.
It should also be noted that the watering restriction during the day is not intended to limit children from running through a sprinkler on a hot day.
Failure to obey these rules can result in a citation from the city.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Elm Grove releases surveillance photos of TCF Bank robbery suspects (7)
- Elmbrook School Board takes a look at crowding at Swanson school (15)
- Brookfield/Elm Grove News IQ: Feb. 4
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: Feb. 4
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Meetings: Feb. 4
- Ask Now: What are Ponto's other priorities, beyond development? (6)
- Brookfield man charged with shooting neighbors arrested again for assaulting hotel manager (3)
- Town of Brookfield man faces possible prison time in domestic violence case
- Brookfield Elm Grove Interfaith Network sets sights on building bridges
- Brookfield Square already planning another expansion, including parking structure (2)