A Cudahy man who was hired by a Brookfield couple to do yard work and odd jobs around their Buena Vista Drive home has been charged with stealing nearly $10,000 in jewelry.
John C. Talaska, 31, faces more than 18 years in prison if convicted on felony counts of burglary and theft. He pleaded not guilty to the charges on Thursday and remains in Waukesha County Jail on $3,500 cash bond.
According to the criminal complaint:
A couple hired Talaska to do yard work and odd jobs around their home in the 2400 block of Buena Vista Drive on two days in October.
Soon after, the homeowners discovered that 14 pieces of jewelry, a $9,600 value, were missing from a bedroom and identified Talaska as a suspect.
Brookfield police learned that Talaska had sold numerous pieces of jewelry to a jeweler in Greenfield on three occasions in October for a total of $1,551.
Through photos the jeweler kept on record, the couple verified that the jewelry Talaska sold had been taken from their home.
Brookfield police arrested Talaska at his Cudahy home Nov. 2.
During a preliminary hearing on Thursday, Waukesha County Circuit Court Judge Martin Binn found probable cause to believe that Talaska committed a felony and ordered him to stand trial.
Talaska is scheduled to return to court for a hearing Dec. 2.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brookfield couple charged in child neglect case
- School funding cuts are a hot topic at a Wauwatosa listening session
- Brookfield aldermen to vote next week on Irgens financial aid
- Businesses team up to help victims of domestic violence
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: April 2
- Brookfield and Elm Grove In Our Schools: April 2
- Business Spotlight: Sensible Gurus of Brookfield understands that peace of mind is knowing your tech
- Thinking outside the boxes: Elmbrook's Pilgrim Park students build Rube Goldberg machines from household items
- Ask Now: Elm Grove meetings online?
- High-end men's salon coming to Elm Grove