An Elmbrook School District official said students at Fairview South School, 3525 Bermuda Boulevard, are in no danger after a brief lockdown Jan. 24.
The elementary school, which serves about 60 special-needs students ages 12 to 20, went on lockdown for about 30 minutes as students arrived for class.
Anne Moore, director of communications for the district, said school staff members were notified of a threat and immediately contacted authorities.
"Staff was made aware of a specific threat that a specific student had threatened to bring a gun to school," Moore said.
Brookfield Police Capt. Phil Horter said the student in question told one or two other students about the threat.
"Preliminary information we've received indicates the student threatened to bring a gun to school and commit some type of violent act against a staff member," he said.
School staff provided Brookfield police with the name of the student and a description of the vehicle he likely would be arriving in.
"They intercepted him when he arrived and searched both him and the vehicle," Moore said. "They did detain him for questioning and no credible threat was found."
Moore said other students weren't in any danger and were allowed to enter the school building.
"This case was referred to the Waukesha County district attorney's office, where disorderly conduct charges may be filed," Horter said.
Parents were notified of the incident by a phone call and email.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brookfield Senior Meals: Week of Feb. 15
- Elm Grove releases surveillance photos of TCF Bank robbery suspects (5)
- Elmbrook School Board takes a look at crowding at Swanson school (17)
- Brookfield/Elm Grove News IQ: Feb. 4
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: Feb. 4
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Meetings: Feb. 4
- Ask Now: What are Ponto's other priorities, beyond development? (5)
- Brookfield man charged with shooting neighbors arrested again for assaulting hotel manager (3)
- Town of Brookfield man faces possible prison time in domestic violence case
- Brookfield Elm Grove Interfaith Network sets sights on building bridges