An Elmbrook School District official said students at Fairview South School, 3525 Bermuda Boulevard, are in no danger after a brief lockdown Jan. 24.
The elementary school, which serves about 60 special-needs students ages 12 to 20, went on lockdown for about 30 minutes as students arrived for class.
Anne Moore, director of communications for the district, said school staff members were notified of a threat and immediately contacted authorities.
"Staff was made aware of a specific threat that a specific student had threatened to bring a gun to school," Moore said.
Brookfield Police Capt. Phil Horter said the student in question told one or two other students about the threat.
"Preliminary information we've received indicates the student threatened to bring a gun to school and commit some type of violent act against a staff member," he said.
School staff provided Brookfield police with the name of the student and a description of the vehicle he likely would be arriving in.
"They intercepted him when he arrived and searched both him and the vehicle," Moore said. "They did detain him for questioning and no credible threat was found."
Moore said other students weren't in any danger and were allowed to enter the school building.
"This case was referred to the Waukesha County district attorney's office, where disorderly conduct charges may be filed," Horter said.
Parents were notified of the incident by a phone call and email.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Weekly Planner: Nov. 27
- Brookfield and Elm Grove News & Notes: Nov. 27
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: Nov. 27
- Ask Now: Are there any plans for the Old Toll Road Village site in Brookfield?
- Town of Brookfield officials remain confident despite slow pace on The Corners
- Brookfield man nears end of quest to run a marathon in every state
- C.A.R.I.N.G. Group Elmbrook fundraiser initiative connects local businesses with area schools
- Brookfield water utility lead operator wins award with invention
- Elmbrook Education Foundation's annual Ladies Night fundraiser to help meet $100K goal
- Brookfield Church donates, packages over 1,000 Thanksgiving meals