Got milk? Elmbrook School District says its supply is stable despite Golden Guernsey closing
District received its last order Monday morning
Grocery stores aren't the only ones searching for milk after the sudden Golden Guernsey plant closing.
Elmbrook School District is working to secure a temporary milk supplier for its schools after the Waukesha plant closed unexpectedly Saturday.
Cheryl Piel, head of food service for the school district, said Elmbrook schools have enough milk to last through tomorrow, with plans for a temporary supplier already in the works.
"We are fine for now," Piel said. "We had our milk distributed today and our distribution company is looking to secure a contract with a different dairy company, and it looks like it's close to being finalized."
The Food and Nutrition Service of the U.S. Department of Agriculture requires eight ounces of milk be offered daily with school breakfast and lunch.
"I don't think we will run out," Piel said. "I have a Plan B and C in place just in case. We will have milk to offer each day."
The Waukesha plant has been under new ownership since last year.
Open Gate Capital, a California-based investment firm, bought Golden Guernsey after its former owner, Dean Foods, sold the plant in response to antitrust concerns.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Waukesha County beaches open Saturday
- Brookfield native takes culinary skills to television
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: May 28
- Brookfield and Elm Grove News IQ: May 28
- Brookfield family shares online school experience
- Ask Now: Too many intersections in close proximity? (2)
- Brookfield's Scott named chair of governmental accounting council
- Business Spotlight: At The Gift Shoppe, the products move and the store stays fresh
- Annual roadwork is full steam ahead in Greenfield and West Allis
- Town of Brookfield's Carp O' Rama on cusp of cancellation