Wisconsin Hills Middle School student Arnav Bhat brought home the first place trophy at the state forensics tournament for his outstanding presentation in the moments in history category.
The school sent 13 students to the state competition March 23, with four advancing in their respective categories.
Danielle Shryock, a six-grade science teacher and the head coach of the forensics team, introduced Bhat to board members and administrators at the April 9 School Board meeting.
Shyrock said the word "forensics" has Latin roots, tracing back to when ancient Greeks - who greatly valued democracy and public speech - would use their speaking skills in forums to communicate important ideas and values.
"In today's society, the word is usually linked up with forensic science in which a detective would use data and evidence to argue a point against a criminal," she said. "But forensic speech highlights the important skills necessary to clearly communicate ideas."
Bhat's challenge was to inform an audience about a topic from the 1970s. He chose the Munich massacre, a terrorist attack during the 1972 Summer Olympics in West Germany where 11 members of the Israeli Olympic team were taken hostage and eventually killed.
You can watching Bhat's speech on the district's website, at http://bit.ly/131Sx7J. The speech begins at about the 8 minute, 50 second mark.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brookfield panel recommends approval of public assistance for Milwaukee Tool expansion
- Brookfield East welcomes 'The Music Man' into winter theater production
- Brookfield and Elm Grove News IQ: Nov. 19
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: Nov. 26
- Fairview South's annual Silent Auction and Craft Fair to raise funds for school iPads
- In Brief: Nov. 26
- Brookfield and Elm Grove meetings: Nov. 26
- City of Brookfield to discuss potential financial aid for Milwaukee Tool expansion
- Suspect in Brookfield drive-by shooting charged in federal court for possession of a firearm
- Brookfield, Elm Grove police honored by American Legion