Fire suppression and detection systems are credited with quelling two fires in the city of Brookfield before major damages were incurred last week.
According to Fire Department reports:
Firefighters found a light haze of smoke coming from the kitchen when they arrived at Best Western Midway, 1005 S. Moorland Road, at 2:21 a.m. Sept. 30. It was later determined that a pile of rags used for cleaning had somehow ignited.
Hotel guests were evacuated.
Water from the fire-suppression sprinkler system extinguished the blaze and prevented any damage to the building.
In another call, this one at 1:32 a.m. Oct. 1, firefighters responded to an automated fire alarm at Central Bark, 3675 N. 124th St.
Police officers on the scene could smell smoke and the call was upgraded to a possible structure fire to bring in more resources.
Firefighters used a secure lock box to gain entry and found a fire contained in a ceiling fan unit.
"Because of the fire detection system and rapid response, damage was limited to the fan," Fire Chief Charlie Myers said.
Both incidents, he said, are examples of the value of sprinkler systems, fire detection systems and secure lock boxes that allow firefighters to quickly access buildings.
"Damage was reduced and the businesses' operations continued," he said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: At the Fun Kids Dentist, the fun starts at age 1
- Wheaton Franciscan's Elmbrook Memorial Hospital to undergo $28.6 million renovation
- Library Recommendations: Oct. 15
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Things to Do: Oct. 15
- Brookfield plan commission approves Capitol West Plaza rezoning request
- Fairview South addresses low enrollment, parents fear school closure (1)
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Weekly Planner: Oct. 15
- Waukesha County looking for resident feedback on emergency plan (1)
- St. Mary's Visitation Parish to host relics of St. Maria Goretti, the Patroness of Mercy
- Brookfield mosque, Jewish congregation forge a friendship (3)