Neighbors heard what sounded like an explosion and, within moments, a house in the 15000 block of Westover Road was engulfed in flames. The Elm Grove Fire Department responded to the fire that destroyed the home just before 3 a.m. Monday.
There were no reported injuries to occupants or emergency personnel. Police Chief Jim Gage said no one was home when the fire started.
Brookfield, Waukesha, New Berlin, Menomonee Falls, Lannon and Muskego also responded.
The cause of the fire, which officials said was under control by 4 a.m., is still under investigation. No origin has been determined at this time.
Preliminary estimates put the value of structural loss at $407,300. The total assessed value of the home, including land, is $548,000, based on 2012 property tax listings. The home had been listed for sale and was actually supposed to close Tuesday, just a day after the fire.
It was not immediately known whether the home had working smoke detectors or a fire alarm system. Fire investigators do not suspect foul play, but the investigation will continue for several weeks.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brookfield and Elm Grove police join national Click It or Ticket campaign
- Rocket boys
- Water main project in Elm Grove could cause delays
- In Our Schools: May 20
- News & Notes: May 20
- Man charged with fleeing Brookfield police making drunken driving stop
- City: Brookfield drinking water is safe despite contamination warning
- Purses targeted in car break-ins outside Wilson Center
- Guaranty Bank in Brookfield robbed
- Auditors draw different conclusions on Azana spa shooter case