Brandon D. Freeman, a 25-year-old man without a listed address, faces up to 10 years in prison and $25,000 in fines if convicted of being a party to the crime of taking property from the Brookfield Place gas station, 3075 N. 124th St., about 8:30 p.m. April 20, 2013.
Freeman was charged in Waukesha County Circuit Court on Tuesday, April 1.
Police identified Freeman from fingerprints left on a discarded Pringles can with pennies inside the gas station.
According to the criminal complaint:
The clerk at Brookfield Place said a man had come in that evening with the can and dumped a heap of pennies on the counter to count them. At that time, another person entered the store and headed straight for the storage area. When the clerk asked the second person if he could help him, that person demanded all of the store's Newport cigarettes and all of the cash in the register.
Neither man displayed a gun, but the clerk said he was scared because the second person looked like he had a mask on and it appeared there was a bulge near his hip that the clerk thought might be a weapon.
The second person put about 60 packs of Newport's cigarrettes and about $760 in cash into a bag, and both men left the store. A witness said he saw them run together across 124th Street and jump over a decorative wall at 3030 N. 124th St.
Freeman's bail was set at $15,000.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wilson Center's art festival in Brookfield draws a record number of artists
- Waukesha County Executive Dan Vrakas outlines capital improvements plan
- Brookfield East student's aquaponics project gives his school a garden
- Brookfield & Elm Grove Weekly Planner: Sept. 4
- Library lot costs nearly double
- Ask Now: Is Goodwill still coming to Brookfield?
- Business Spotlight: Hair salon owner says it's not work
- Industrial development hinges on TIF district
- Brookfield meetings: Sept. 4
- Elmbrook School District's ACT composite scores remain above state average