Cell phone technology may be evolving at a dizzying pace, but advancements seem to have come at the expense of durability, according to the owner of CPR-Cell Phone Repair of Brookfield.
"Today's cell phones don't hold up nearly as well as the older ones do," Dean Thompson said. "Most of the repairs we perform are on the contemporary phones. They may be more versatile than their ancestors, but they're not made as well."
Thompson and his staff of certified electronic repair technicians have been repairing electronic devices — including smart phones, tablets, gaming systems, MP3 players and computers — since he opened the Orlando, Fla.-based franchise in February.
CPR-Cell Phone Repair of Brookfield, he said, fixes about one to two dozen gadgets a day. Each one typically takes about 20 minutes to two hours.
"I've always been mechanically inclined, so we'll tackle almost anything," said Thompson, who holds an electrical engineering degree from Iowa State University. "We've fixed phones that have been accidentally dropped in sewers and another that was run over by a 20-ton dump truck. But we'll always tell a customer upfront when something won't be a cost-effective fix for them."
Located in the 17000 block of West Bluemound Road, CPR accepts walk-in —as well as mail-in — repair requests, operates as an electronics recycling center and sells repaired and refurbished electronic devices.
"There's a lot of local competition, but being as well-rounded as we are really helps us create a niche for ourselves in the marketplace," Thompson said. "We'll do things that other repair shops can't or won't do, such as fixing charge parts, switches that require soldering and working on items that may be as small as a grain of pepper.
"It also helps that we do our homework. New items are rolled out so frequently nowadays that we have to stay on top of the technology. Keeping up on what the industry experts are saying about the latest phones is critical to our business."
To recommend a business for this spotlight, send an email to email@example.com.
JUST THE FACTS
BUSINESS: CPR-Cell Phone Repair of Brookfield
ADDRESS: 17145 W. Bluemound Road, Suite B, Brookfield
PHONE: (414) 231-9209
OWNER: Dean Thompson
TYPE OF BUSINESS: electronics repair
PEARLS OF WISDOM: "There's always an alternative."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Local art gallery boasts diversified collection
- Ballet school helps students move with grace, confidence
- Enhancing Light Cosmetic Laser comes to Elm Grove
- Matt Schultz's search for a franchise was led by the heart
- Retirement just didn't pan out for Pro Cast's owner
- Halen Homes young, but making mark
- Freedom Physical Therapy triples clinic size
- Spring Bank risked weak economy but won big
- Having a party? Don't fret, decorative tableware rentals available
- Brand personality key to architecture
- Science, intuition work together at Campione Chiropractic
- All-natural, fresh made cookies are staple at Sweet!
- Dental practice remembers motto: 'Never treat a stranger'
- Geary Dentistry on cutting edge of dental techniques
- Success brewing at Fava Tea in Brookfield
- Decision to strike out on his own pays off for LePoidevin Marketing head
- E-Freight Courier service stands out with niche market, high standards
- United Driving School has personal approach to teaching students
- United Driving School aims for safe, confident motorists
- Skilled team makes variety possible at Trace-A-Matic