A 19-year-old Milwaukee man was stopped while driving a stolen car on Interstate 94 near Brookfield Road about 2 a.m. Saturday, April 5.
Trenton Chipps was charged with carrying a concealed weapon and driving a motor vehicle without the owner's consent in Waukesha County Circuit Court on Monday, April 7.
Chipps, who was pulled over for failing to slow down and move over for highway service vehicles, told police it was his friend who stole the car somewhere in Milwaukee the night before, according to the criminal complaint. Chipps did not have a valid license to provide and was arrested for driving without one.
Chipps told officers that he had told his friend he needed a car to get to South Dakota, and his friend had provided him with the stolen car, the complaint states.
The Waukesha County Sheriff's Department found the car was listed to a Wauwatosa couple, who told deputies they had left their car in a friend's garage in Milwaukee.
When he was pulled over, Chipps had a knife clipped to his tanktop, between his shoulder blades. When asked why he had it, he said, "People get mugged," according to the complaint.
If convicted Chipps faces up to six years and nine months in prison, and up to $20,000 in fines.
Chipps was taken to the Waukesha County Jail with a cash bond set at $5,000. His preliminary hearing is scheduled for Thursday, April 17.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brookfield Senior Meals: Nov. Dec. 7
- Brookfield panel recommends approval of public assistance for Milwaukee Tool expansion (1)
- Brookfield East welcomes 'The Music Man' into winter theater production
- Brookfield and Elm Grove News IQ: Nov. 19
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: Nov. 26
- Fairview South's annual Silent Auction and Craft Fair to raise funds for school iPads
- In Brief: Nov. 26
- Brookfield and Elm Grove meetings: Nov. 26
- City of Brookfield to discuss potential financial aid for Milwaukee Tool expansion
- Suspect in Brookfield drive-by shooting charged in federal court for possession of a firearm