A 19-year-old Milwaukee man was stopped while driving a stolen car on Interstate 94 near Brookfield Road about 2 a.m. Saturday, April 5.
Trenton Chipps was charged with carrying a concealed weapon and driving a motor vehicle without the owner's consent in Waukesha County Circuit Court on Monday, April 7.
Chipps, who was pulled over for failing to slow down and move over for highway service vehicles, told police it was his friend who stole the car somewhere in Milwaukee the night before, according to the criminal complaint. Chipps did not have a valid license to provide and was arrested for driving without one.
Chipps told officers that he had told his friend he needed a car to get to South Dakota, and his friend had provided him with the stolen car, the complaint states.
The Waukesha County Sheriff's Department found the car was listed to a Wauwatosa couple, who told deputies they had left their car in a friend's garage in Milwaukee.
When he was pulled over, Chipps had a knife clipped to his tanktop, between his shoulder blades. When asked why he had it, he said, "People get mugged," according to the complaint.
If convicted Chipps faces up to six years and nine months in prison, and up to $20,000 in fines.
Chipps was taken to the Waukesha County Jail with a cash bond set at $5,000. His preliminary hearing is scheduled for Thursday, April 17.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Mystery Photo Contest: March 26
- Brookfield may alter zoning to make city more welcoming to health clubs
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: March 19
- Elm Grove establishes committee to explore fiber internet
- Elm Grove church irks residents with cell tower proposal
- Marcus looking into exiting Corners project
- Brookfield man charged with knife attack on mother, sister
- Brookfield girl may have been locked in basement by parents
- Brookfield's St. John Vianney School presents 'Shrek the Musical'
- In Our Schools: March 26, 2015