A chamber of commerce will never been confused with a comedy club, yet Wolfgang Voith enjoyed a hearty laugh during a recent meeting of one.
"I found it very amusing when a competitor was pounding his chest with pride about getting a client up and running again, five days after the company's server went down," said Voith, owner of Voison LLC, a computer consulting and system integration firm. "I'd have expected to be fired, if it took me that many working days to finish that job. That's a long time for a company to be out of business."
In operation since 1984, Voison provides small- and medium-sized businesses services such as network design and installation, data recovery and migration, hardware and software support, and virus and spyware detection and removal.
It's a clientele, Voith said, that is often treated as second-class citizens in the IT world.
"There are a lot of good IT firms that take care of small, medium and large businesses," Voith said. "But if an emergency strikes each one of these types of businesses at the same time, it's the big company that'll be taken care of first, while the others are put off. That can be devastating, when you consider statistics show that many companies that lose their server or database for an extended period go out of business within a year."
He said Voison primarily caters to businesses with 20 or fewer computers and specializes in providing proactive, cost-effective solutions.
"Unlike big companies, which can afford an IT staff that allows them to stay on top of things, many small companies have no idea how effective their equipment is or what threats exist that could damage their systems," said Voith, whose clients include engineering firms, dentists and accountants.
"I make it my business to know my clients' computer systems backward and forward, so I can design and implement backup and recovery systems that fit their needs and budgets."
If you would like to suggest a business to be featured in the Business Spotlight, send an email to email@example.com or call (262) 446-6643.
JUST THE FACTS
ADDRESS: 755 Verdant Drive, Elm Grove
OWNER: Wolfgang Voith
TYPE OF BUSINESS: computer consulting; service and sales of hardware and software
PEARLS OF WISDOM: "If you aren't absolutely sure if you have a backup, you probably don't."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Business Spotlight: Bowling is about families, including the Posnanski family at Bluemound Bowl
- Business Spotlight: Workout efficiency is stressed at Fitness Revolution
- Business Spotlight: Skiin brings science to bear on cosmetic improvements
- Business Spotlight: Commerce State Bank knows its way around business growth
- No job too small adds up to a full-time job
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: Treat Street founder went from academia to 'Popcorn Central'
- Business Spotlight: At The Gift Shoppe, the products move and the store stays fresh
- Business Spotlight: City Wide aspires to be a building owner's best friend
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: At Salon Medusa, employees stay, and customers come back
- Business Spotlight: Fred Astaire's grace lies behind every step
- Flower design drew event planner back to the business she loved
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: Wilson Center embraces the risks inherent in the arts
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: At Walters', a suit is at its best when it's wet
- Business Spotlight: Sensible Gurus of Brookfield understands that peace of mind is knowing your tech
- Business Spotlight: Cookies by Design
- Business Spotlight: Dianne Gleixner is bringing basket weaving back
- Business Spotlight: Can learning be fun? The owners of The Learning Shop believe it can!
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: With 170 years behind it, Laacke & Joys has a wealth of experience
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: Getting lost is fun in a Rose's dollhouse
- Business Spotlight: Brookfield business employs 'Olive-ology' to meet customers' expectations