City of Brookfield Fire Chief Charlie Myers has issued an immediate ban on burning, and the use of all fireworks including sparklers and caps. Severe heat and extreme drought conditions are blamed for the ban.
As a result, burning and the use of fireworks would constitute a public nuisance affecting safety, he said.
This ban includes fires in all outdoor fireplaces and fire pits, burning lawn waste, camp fires and the private use of consumer fireworks including sparklers, caps and novelty fireworks. Brookfield ordinances already prohibit the sale, possession and use of all fireworks with the exception of caps and sparklers.
Brookfield Police Department officials say given the conditions, officers will strictly enforce these restrictions. Violators of these restraints, and adults who permit the use of any kind of fireworks, including caps and sparklers, or burning by minors will receive citations. This ban does not prohibit residents from using contained grills for cooking food.
The ban will remain in place until further notice.
Currently, the city plans on conducting its scheduled fireworks display on July 4th . However, a review of this plan is ongoing.
Individuals may call the Fire Department at (262) 782-8932 with questions concerning the continuation of the ban. When the ban is lifted, it will be posted on the city's website.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Bus shelters topic coming back to Brookfield
- School Notes: Sept. 3
- Brookfield Library Friends continue support efforts
- Senior Meals: Sept. 3
- Kinseth Hospitality to break ground on new hotel in town of Brookfield (1)
- Brookfield Hobby Lobby store set for grand opening (1)
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Weekly Planner: Sept. 3
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: Aug. 27
- Brookfield couple's theater company keeps growing
- Brookfield police suspect wallet theft part of organized crime ring