Four parcels of land currently part of the town of Brookfield could soon be annexed into the city, if Jack Safro's Automotive Group's plan goes through for its dealership on Capitol Drive and Barker Road.
Mayor Steve Ponto signed a pre-annexation agreement with the company's president, Jeanne Safro, Jan. 21 after the Common Council authorized it. The annexation also must be approved by the state Department of Administration and then passed by the Common Council, according to Director of Community Development Dan Ertl. The town would not have to approve it.
According to the signed agreement, the company plans to redevelop its Toyota dealership, and would like access to the city's water and sewer services. The dealership uses a private well and septic system, Director of Public Works Tom Grisa said.
The city is better positioned to provide those services than the town, Grisa said, because it already has water and sewer services close by, at Krause Funeral Home on Capitol Drive.
"The town can certainly provide sewer and water, but they can't do it in a very efficient manner, because their utilities are so far away from that area," Grisa said.
The cost for extending the services likely would be shared between the city and the company, Grisa said.
The agreement notes the annexation would increase the city's tax base. However, for the first five years after annexation, the city would be required by state statute to annually pay the town an amount equal to what it currently collects in property taxes from the parcels.
If redevelopment moves forward, the new dealership will include a showroom, service center, car wash, auto display, and parking and loading areas, according to the agreement.
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Weekly Planner: May 5
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Things to Do: May 5
- Video: STEM Shuttle lands at St. Mary's in Elm Grove
- Green Bay Packers' Mason Crosby to visit Brookfield Square in support of breast cancer research
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: April 28
- City of Brookfield on fast pace toward reaching consultant's apartment projection (14)
- Brookfield Senior Meals: Week of May 2
- Ask Now: Freeway interchange at Calhoun?
- Elm Grove to establish citizen committee for Reinder's redevelopment proposal
- Two Brookfield Lutheran churches join together to form combined congregation (8)