Chicken and waffles on a chip could be worth $1 million for Brookfield native
Brookfield native's flavor idea a hit in Frito-Lay competition
Some people enjoy the combination of chicken and waffles on a plate.
Christina Abu-Judom wants you to enjoy the combination on a chip.
The Brookfield native who now lives in Phoenix won $50,000 and a spot as a finalist in the Frito-Lay Do Us a Flavor contest last week.
"It's just something you don't ever think will happen to you," Abu-Judom said.
Her rival flavor contestants are a Wisconsin woman who came up with cheesy garlic bread chips and an Illinois man who submitted the idea for a spicy sriracha flavor, a hot sauce from Thailand.
Couple dozen submissions
She submitted more than 30 ideas, some less exotic, like basil, cucumber yogurt and spicy calamari.
"My nephew told me about the contest," Abu-Judom said. "I just started submitting combinations of things that I like to eat. I was having a ball."
But chicken and waffles was the winning pitch.
"My family loves chicken and waffles, so that's why I dedicated that combination to them," Abu-Judom said. "I stole a bite of my nephew's waffle once and he wouldn't let me live it down."
She said she videotaped telling her family the news.
"When I sat them down, they thought I was going to tell them I was pregnant," Abu-Judom laughed. "When I told them the news they were so excited, screaming and everything."
Abu-Judom grew up in Brookfield. She graduated from Brookfield East High School.
"I'm a Spartans girl at heart," she said. "I was so fortunate to grow up in Brookfield."
After graduating from the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point, Abu-Judom worked for the Girl Scouts of Milwaukee for five years before moving to Phoenix.
Abu-Judom's and the other finalists' creations already are on store shelves.
When the chips fall, she hopes to take the $1 million prize with her.
How to vote
Votes are counted on three platforms: Lay's Facebook page at Facebook.com/Lays; Twitter, by using hashtag #SaveGarlicBread, #SaveChickenWaffles or #SaveSriracha; or by texting "VOTE" to 24477.
Voting ends May 4.
The grand-prize winner wins $1 million or one percent of their chip's 2013 net sales, whichever is greater.
- Elmbrook names Sobocinski as new assistant superintendent for business services
- Brookfield Central student charged for bomb scare
- New Starbucks to anchor retail building at Sendik's Towne Centre in Brookfield (1)
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: June 23
- Brookfield aldermen OK Artisan apartments, public funding (5)
- Brookfield council reaffirms committee's denial of TIF referendum referral (2)
- Trainer allegedly sexually assaulted client at town of Brookfield fitness center
- Ask Now: City's rummage sale rules?
- In brief: RR crossing closed (3)
- Brookfield Fire Department plans $1 million in renovations to one of its stations (1)