As the weather warms up, children in the town of Brookfield will have a chance to dust off their fishing equipment and head to Brook Park to enjoy another edition of the Carp O'Rama Fishing Derby.
The event is open to children ages 4 to 12 and tests the young anglers' ability to catch the biggest fish. It will be held Saturday, May 31, from 8:30 to 10:30 a.m.
"We've been doing this for over 20 years," town of Brookfield Parks and Recreation Director Chad Brown said. "It's just a fun fishing event."
Carp O'Rama is open only to town of Brookfield children. Brown said the event remains relatively popular, although attendance has decreased in recent years.
"Numbers are down from the past, but we still usually get around two dozen (entrants)," he said.
Children are divided into age groups and by gender.
"We have prizes for the biggest fish, with prizes for each age group and for boys and girls," Brown said. "(Prizes) depend on the year, but usually it's fishing equipment."
Adults are not required to attend and supervise their children, although Brown recommends it, especially with younger anglers. Brown noted that the pond in Brook Park is rather shallow.
"Brook Park is surprisingly active with fishermen. People seem to be there quite a bit and, of course, with the Fox River, there seems to definitely be plenty of interest in fishing in the area," Brown said.
Carp O'Rama competitors must bring their own fishing equipment and advance registration is mandatory. The deadline to register is Thursday, May 29.
The event is in need of adult volunteers to assist throughout the morning.
If you go
WHAT: town of Brookfield Carp O'Rama Fishing Derby
WHERE: Brook Park, west of Barker Road off Brook Park Drive
WHEN: 8:30 to 10:30 a.m. May 31
REGISTER: by May 29 by calling (262) 796-3781 or sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brookfield panel recommends approval of public assistance for Milwaukee Tool expansion
- Brookfield East welcomes 'The Music Man' into winter theater production
- Brookfield and Elm Grove News IQ: Nov. 19
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: Nov. 26
- Fairview South's annual Silent Auction and Craft Fair to raise funds for school iPads
- In Brief: Nov. 26
- Brookfield and Elm Grove meetings: Nov. 26
- City of Brookfield to discuss potential financial aid for Milwaukee Tool expansion
- Suspect in Brookfield drive-by shooting charged in federal court for possession of a firearm
- Brookfield, Elm Grove police honored by American Legion