Police found a 23-year-old Brookfield man pulled over, drooling, on the side of Highway 16 in Pewaukee on April 12, after allegedly combining an anti-anxiety medication with morphine and heroin.
Jake J. Lecher was charged April 15 in Waukesha County Circuit Court with possession of narcotic drugs, possession of an illegally obtained prescription and driving a motor vehicle while intoxicated, second offense.
According to the criminal complaint:
A Waukesha County Sheriff's deputy was dispatched to the area of Highway 16 and Ryan Road after the department received reports of a vehicle swerving and driving at a slow pace.
The deputy found the vehicle parked in the merge zone between the two roads and found Lecher hunched over the wheel, red-eyed and appearing to have been drooling. The driver's speech was extremely slow and lethargic.
Lecher told the officer he did not drink any alcohol but had taken Xanax and alprazolam, both anxiety medications. He said he usually took three Xanax a day but that day had taken six.
Lecher failed several field sobriety tests and was placed under arrest for drugged driving. In his pocket was a prescription bottle containing alprazolam prescribed to "Tracy Smith." He said the pill bottle belonged to a friend of his and admitted he had taken three pills.
In Lecher's vehicle the officer found several pieces of drug paraphernalia, including syringes and cotton balls, as well as 0.20 grams of heroin hidden in a gum wrapper.
A blood test was administered and Lecher told police he did not get any sleep that day and had taken alprazolam, heroin and morphine in the past 24 hours.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Bus shelter advertising approved by Brookfield aldermen
- Ask Now: Wisconsin Ave. extension still in the works?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Mystery Photo Contest: Oct. 1
- The Corners, in the town of Brookfield, adds a women's fashion store to its growing list of tenants
- Brookfield city council to meet Tuesday at 7:45 p.m.
- Brookfield church hopes to bring residents, local music together
- Auditions at Brookfield's Wilson Center may take singers to the Met
- Elm Grove proposed budget requires reduction
- Brookfield East High School recruits students for new DECA chapter
- Brookfield drunk driver leads police on 80 mph chase