A 26-year-old Brookfield man was charged with second-degree sexual assault and disorderly conduct July 15 in Waukesha County Circuit Court.
According to the criminal complaint:
Brookfield police responded to a call of a female victim who escaped from a Brookfield home after being assaulted at 3:09 a.m. July 13. Police found the 24-year-old victim hiding in bushes at Parkhurst and Imperial drives, crying hysterically and visibly upset. She pointed at a home on Parkhurt Drive where the assault had taken place.
The suspect, later identified as Kevin Dwyer, was seen smoking a cigarette and told police he had been locked out of the home. Police said Dwyer was heavily intoxicated and began hitting a lawn table and screaming when police questioned him. After efforts to calm the man failed, police placed him in handcuffs.
The victim told police she lived in Illinois and went to a bar that night with a female friend. The two met Dwyer and another man and went back to the second man's Brookfield home and went into the pool. The victim said she wanted to go home, but her friend said she wanted to stay at the man's house, and the victim didn't have a way home.
She fell asleep on the couch and woke up to Dwyer trying to kiss her. The victim told police she told Dwyer "no," but he continued to push himself on her. When the victim got up from the couch and walked toward the door, Dwyer blocked her and said, "this is going to happen" and told her not to scream. The victim ran to a bathroom and locked the door. She eventually left the bathroom and began looking for her friend because she felt uncomfortable and wanted to leave.
When the victim proceeded to go down a flight of stairs, Dwyer appeared again and began making the same comments and pushed her on the couch and assaulted her. She eventually escaped and ran outside behind a tree and called police.
Another woman at the home told police that she and the victim had been at a bar where they met Dwyer and another man. They went back to the home, owned by the second man, and went into the pool. The woman said she saw the victim fall asleep on a couch. The homeowner told a similar story to police, but did not know the victim had been assaulted in the home.
Dwyer faces up to 40 years in jail. A hearing is scheduled for July 30 in Waukesha County Circuit Court.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Elm Grove releases surveillance photos of TCF Bank robbery suspects (7)
- Elmbrook School Board takes a look at crowding at Swanson school (15)
- Brookfield/Elm Grove News IQ: Feb. 4
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: Feb. 4
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Meetings: Feb. 4
- Ask Now: What are Ponto's other priorities, beyond development? (6)
- Brookfield man charged with shooting neighbors arrested again for assaulting hotel manager (3)
- Town of Brookfield man faces possible prison time in domestic violence case
- Brookfield Elm Grove Interfaith Network sets sights on building bridges
- Brookfield Square already planning another expansion, including parking structure (2)