Joshua P. Klawikowski of Brookfield, 21, faces a single count of second-degree recklessly endangering safety, a felony that carries a maximum jail sentence of 10 years. Klawikowki made an initial appearance in court on November 14, where he was ordered to maintain absolute sobriety.
According to the criminal complaint:
The Milwaukee County Sheriff's Office received several 911 calls Nov. 10 reporting that a car was traveling south in the northbound lanes of Interstate 43.
Klawikowski was seen on Department of Transportation cameras in a black car driving at speeds that topped 100 mph, narrowly missing oncoming cars and trucks. A sheriff's deputy drove parallel to Klawikowski in the northbound lanes and shone his light at him in an attempt to pull him over, but Klawikoski continued driving, weaving through a construction zone on Interstate 94 at Drexel Avenue.
Klawikowski made a U-turn at Ryan Road and was pulled over by sheriff's deputies south of College Avenue at 2:30 a.m. Saturday November 10. When asked if he knew where he was, he looked around, saw an Amtrak sign and said he was at the train station.
Preliminary blood tests showed Klawikowski had a blood-alcohol content of 0.18.
A preliminary hearing is scheduled for Nov. 21.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brookfield and Elm Grove News IQ: April 2
- Brookfield couple charged in child neglect case
- School funding cuts are a hot topic at a Wauwatosa listening session
- Brookfield aldermen to vote next week on Irgens financial aid
- Businesses team up to help victims of domestic violence
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: April 2
- Brookfield and Elm Grove In Our Schools: April 2
- Business Spotlight: Sensible Gurus of Brookfield understands that peace of mind is knowing your tech
- Thinking outside the boxes: Elmbrook's Pilgrim Park students build Rube Goldberg machines from household items
- Ask Now: Elm Grove meetings online?