Is there a rumor you'd like tracked down? Rory Linnane answers some of the mysteries of life in Brookfield and helps solve everyday problems.
Why is there a stop sign at Main Street and Wisconsin Avenue?
Question: From a reader: "I am wondering why there is a stop sign on the northern end of Main Street, just north of Brookfield Square, where it meets the eastern end of Wisconsin Avenue. There are no options than to turn for either direction."
Response: At the northern end of Main Street, north of Bluemound Road, a stop sign halts drivers making a left turn onto Wisconsin Avenue or going straight into Crusan Golf Academy.
Most of the time, said Public Works Director Tom Grisa, vehicles can flow right past each other, with westbound traffic on Wisconsin Avenue turning right, and northbound traffic on Main Street arcing around it. But because some traffic on Wisconsin Avenue could turn left into the golf course, crossing the path of traffic from Main Street, Grisa said the city decided it was necessary to control traffic.
Additionally, the city's goal is to extend Wisconsin Avenue east to Elm Grove, which would further necessitate the stop. Grisa said the extension is not in the current five-year capital improvement plan, and it is not currently moving forward. The move would require cooperation on the part of Elm Grove, which would receive the Wisconsin Avenue traffic on Pilgrim Parkway.
Submit your question for Ask NOW by sending an email to Rory Linnane at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: How does one get appointed to a Brookfield committee?
- Brookfield Ask Now: Can ATVs be ridden in public right of way?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Has the mayor always broken ties?
- Ask Now: Why the bends in Pilgrim Road?
- Ask Now: Why isn't the city on Facebook?
- Ask Now: Why is work being done at the Quarry?
- Ask Now: How big are Brookfield's hills?
- Ask Now: Elm Grove meetings online?
- Ask Now: What are Brookfield's policies for abandoned houses?
- Ask Now: What is an arterial road?
- Ask Now: Is Brookfield's population really that old?
- Ask Now: Any plans for Brookfield's former Venice Club?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Why are dogs required to be licensed?
- Ask Now: How much is public service worth in the city of Brookfield?
- Ask Now: Is there wifi at Brookfield city hall?
- Ask Now: Too much goose use of Fox Brook Park?
- Ask Now: Will Anthem College in Brookfield be replaced?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: When does Brookfield send the plows out?
- Ask Now: Does Brookfield or Elm Grove have more library lovers?
- Ask Now: Where should Brookfield residents take their Christmas trees?