Is there a rumor you'd like tracked down? Rory Linnane answers some of the mysteries of life in Brookfield and helps solve everyday problems.
Why is there a stop sign at Main Street and Wisconsin Avenue?
Question: From a reader: "I am wondering why there is a stop sign on the northern end of Main Street, just north of Brookfield Square, where it meets the eastern end of Wisconsin Avenue. There are no options than to turn for either direction."
Response: At the northern end of Main Street, north of Bluemound Road, a stop sign halts drivers making a left turn onto Wisconsin Avenue or going straight into Crusan Golf Academy.
Most of the time, said Public Works Director Tom Grisa, vehicles can flow right past each other, with westbound traffic on Wisconsin Avenue turning right, and northbound traffic on Main Street arcing around it. But because some traffic on Wisconsin Avenue could turn left into the golf course, crossing the path of traffic from Main Street, Grisa said the city decided it was necessary to control traffic.
Additionally, the city's goal is to extend Wisconsin Avenue east to Elm Grove, which would further necessitate the stop. Grisa said the extension is not in the current five-year capital improvement plan, and it is not currently moving forward. The move would require cooperation on the part of Elm Grove, which would receive the Wisconsin Avenue traffic on Pilgrim Parkway.
Submit your question for Ask NOW by sending an email to Rory Linnane at email@example.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: Will Anthem College in Brookfield be replaced?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: When does Brookfield send the plows out?
- Ask Now: Does Brookfield or Elm Grove have more library lovers?
- Ask Now: Where should Brookfield residents take their Christmas trees?
- Ask Now: Does Elmbrook Humane Society leave animals outside?
- Ask Now: Does Brookfield have the third-largest tax base in the state?
- Ask Now: Wireless dead zones, what is to be done?
- Ask Now: Are there any plans for the Old Toll Road Village site in Brookfield?
- Ask Now: What's happening in Brookfield at I-94 and Moorland?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: When will the Watertown Plank railroad crossing be smoother?
- Ask Now: Path sharing problems in Brookfield?
- Ask Now: Is Mitchell Park getting winter recreational trials?
- Ask Now: Is the roundabout at Brookfield Road and North Avenue working as it should?
- Ask Now: How long will 124th Street be closed?
- Ask Now: Is Big Brother watching you?
- Ask Now: Which has more park space per resident — the City of Brookfield, or Elm Grove?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: The weeds are back — who is responsible?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Will sidewalks remain after North Avenue is widened?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Is River Birch Drive a public trail or a private drive?
- Ask Now: Is Goodwill still coming to Brookfield?