Is there a rumor you've heard you would like to track down? Is there something in the community that needs to get fixed? Mary Malahy answers some of the mysteries of life in the Elmbrook area.
Why have traffic signals changed on major roads?
Issue: A few readers have written to me because they have noticed changes in the traffic signals along Bluemound Road and Capitol Drive. In particular, readers have noticed that the lights seem to be longer and some of the left-turn arrows have changed. They are wondering why this is.
Status: I talked to Jeff Chase, city engineer, and he said these changes are due to the state's construction projects. He explained that the projects involve lane closures and the state is probably adjusting the signal times in order to accommodate the changes in traffic due to these closures.
Chase explained that the state implemented lagging left-turn signals. Normally, the left-turn arrow leads the cycle and then is followed by the green light for traffic heading straight. But, during the construction, the state has switched several signals so that the left-turn arrow comes at the end of the cycle. This allows those traveling straight to clear out of the intersection and those turning left to get into the far left lane.
Brookfield NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor? Fix a problem? Send an email email@example.com or visit
BrookfieldNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: Why the bends in Pilgrim Road?
- Ask Now: Why isn't the city on Facebook?
- Ask Now: Why is work being done at the Quarry?
- Ask Now: How big are Brookfield's hills?
- Ask Now: Elm Grove meetings online?
- Ask Now: What are Brookfield's policies for abandoned houses?
- Ask Now: What is an arterial road?
- Ask Now: Is Brookfield's population really that old?
- Ask Now: Any plans for Brookfield's former Venice Club?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Why are dogs required to be licensed?
- Ask Now: How much is public service worth in the city of Brookfield?
- Ask Now: Is there wifi at Brookfield city hall?
- Ask Now: Too much goose use of Fox Brook Park?
- Ask Now: Will Anthem College in Brookfield be replaced?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: When does Brookfield send the plows out?
- Ask Now: Does Brookfield or Elm Grove have more library lovers?
- Ask Now: Where should Brookfield residents take their Christmas trees?
- Ask Now: Does Elmbrook Humane Society leave animals outside?
- Ask Now: Does Brookfield have the third-largest tax base in the state?
- Ask Now: Wireless dead zones, what is to be done?