Is there a rumor you've heard you would like to track down? Is there something in the community that needs to get fixed? Mary Malahy answers some of the mysteries of life in the Elmbrook area.
Why have traffic signals changed on major roads?
Issue: A few readers have written to me because they have noticed changes in the traffic signals along Bluemound Road and Capitol Drive. In particular, readers have noticed that the lights seem to be longer and some of the left-turn arrows have changed. They are wondering why this is.
Status: I talked to Jeff Chase, city engineer, and he said these changes are due to the state's construction projects. He explained that the projects involve lane closures and the state is probably adjusting the signal times in order to accommodate the changes in traffic due to these closures.
Chase explained that the state implemented lagging left-turn signals. Normally, the left-turn arrow leads the cycle and then is followed by the green light for traffic heading straight. But, during the construction, the state has switched several signals so that the left-turn arrow comes at the end of the cycle. This allows those traveling straight to clear out of the intersection and those turning left to get into the far left lane.
Brookfield NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor? Fix a problem? Send an email email@example.com or visit
BrookfieldNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: What's going on with Plaza 173?
- Ask Now: How many furry friends are in need?
- Ask Now: How does annexation actually work?
- Ask Now: Should Brookfield bikers be excited?
- Ask Now: What's going on with Burger King in the Town of Brookfield?
- Brookfield AskNOW for June 26: Where are the jobs?
- Ask NOW: Which side is the rich side of town?
- Ask NOW: How many elm trees does the Village of Elm Grove actually have?
- Ask NOW: Where did the Sharon Lynne Wilson Center for the Arts get its name?
- Ask NOW: Should people take more care with their lawn care?
- Ask NOW: Can cars go over grass in order to pass on the right?
- Ask NOW: Reader wonders if bicyclists should use pathways
- Ask NOW: Brookfield resident wonders when he is allowed to pass on the right
- Ask NOW: Brookfield resident worried about pedestrians at Kinsey Park
- Ask NOW: How should residents handle suspicious solicitors?
- Ask NOW: Reader concerned about wooden path on Brookfield Road
- Ask NOW: Reader's question leads to signage change
- Ask NOW: Will Elmbrook Church respond to the gun left in the bathroom?
- Ask NOW: Why is there a stop sign at Main Street and Wisconsin Avenue?
- Ask NOW: What can residents do about phone scams?