Is there a rumor you've heard you would like to track down? Is there something in the community that needs to get fixed? Mary Malahy answers some of the mysteries of life in the Elmbrook area.
Why do library employees have their own parking area?
Issue: A reader wants to know why the employees at the library have a special parking lot. She wonders if the lot could be opened to the public, especially on busy days.
Status: I spoke with Edell Schaefer, Brookfield Public Library director, and she explained that it isn't unusual to have staff-only parking lots, and many other libraries follow this practice. The employee parking lot existed when she began working at the library nearly 30 years ago.
The restrictions are put in place to prevent the high school students from parking in city lots, and the signs are required so the Police Department can issue citations to those parked illegally.
Schaefer added that these restrictions are only in place during the school day and the lot is open to anyone during the evenings, weekends and summer. For example, during the farmers market, anyone can park in that lot.
Because the library has many events and programs, it is important to make sure employees are able to park, Schaefer explained. Another reason for the restriction is to make space for the city's fleet vehicles, which also park there.
Brookfield NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor? Fix a problem? Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or visit
BrookfieldNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask NOW: When will the Capitol Drive construction be over?
- Ask NOW: Why are barns almost always painted red?
- Ask NOW: Did Marasco's Craft King close?
- Ask NOW: When will Brookfield expand its recycling program?
- Ask NOW: Flashing yellow turn arrows becoming more widely used statewide
- Ask NOW: Does the Brookfield Public Library routinely forgive fines?
- Does traffic light timing change during snowstorms?
- Ask NOW: What happens to blood after it's donated?
- Was a Brookfield cemetery relocated due to construction?
- Ask NOW: Has the city of Brookfield surveyed the white tail deer population this winter?
- Ask NOW: What happened to the Elm Grove Inn?
- Ask NOW: How are traffic cameras being used?
- Ask NOW: Who's responsible for clearing snow in city?
- Ask NOW: Driver annoyed she can't turn left at 144th and Capitol
- Ask NOW: Are more changes planned for Imperial Park?
- Ask NOW: Where are city vehicles repaired?
- Ask NOW: Reader doesn't like Capitol Drive sidewalks
- Ask NOW: Is Brookfield still trying to incorporate?
- Ask NOW: What's the story behind the Stagecoach Inn Museum?
- Ask NOW: Eble farm house torn down due to poor condition