What rules surround snow clearing in the city?
Issue: A reader wants to know whether Brookfield residents are required to shovel their driveways and sidewalks. She also wants to know what the laws are for commercial properties.
Status: Laurie O'Shea, paralegal for the city of Brookfield, told me residents are not required to clear bike paths, sidewalks or driveways. She explained that the Park, Recreation and Forestry Department is responsible for clearing city rights of way. Questions, comments and complaints can be directed to the department at (262) 796-6681.
The Highway Department clears snow from the city's roadways. Snow pushed onto driveways by passing snowplows will not be removed by the city, according to the city website.
Businesses are required to shovel sidewalks on their property, O'Shea added.
Property owners are responsible for shoveling out fire hydrants in front of their property.
Brookfield NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor?
Fix a problem? Send an email to
email@example.com or visit
BrookfieldNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask NOW: Is the emerald ash borer coming to Brookfield?
- Ask NOW: Who were the Ebles and what did they want for their land?
- Ask NOW: Are there plans for improvements at Calhoun and Burleigh roads?
- Ask NOW: What's going on in the old Ethan Allen store?
- Ask NOW: How many dump trucks of dirt will be coming out of the Corners?
- Ask NOW: Does Brookfield pay its interns?
- Ask NOW: What's happening to Applebee's?
- Ask NOW: Will residents soon have to take trash to the curb?
- Ask NOW: Has moving fire station caused delays for responses to Brookfield Square?
- Ask NOW: How can the city get a park on the Sileno property?
- Ask NOW: Does BRAD group have conflict of interest?
- Ask NOW: Who is Goerke?
- Ask NOW: What is required of school buses crossing tracks?
- Ask NOW: When do the street lights go on?
- Ask NOW: What is the procedure for plowing snow?
- Ask NOW: Are there local families who will use a food pantry this Thanksgiving?
- Ask NOW: Why are there barriers at Brookfield Road and North Avenue?
- Ask NOW: Will sidewalks on Capitol Drive be cleared of snow this winter?
- Ask NOW: Are little roadside libraries allowed in Brookfield?
- Ask NOW: What are costs of maintaining and demolishing Eble Park barn?