What's the history of Stagecoach Inn Museum?
Issue: A reader wants to know how the Dousman Stagecoach Inn Museum came to be and what the story is behind it.
Status: The Elmbrook Historical Society is an affiliate of the Wisconsin Historical Society and was founded in 1980. The Dousman Stagecoach Inn Museum is the society's main project, according to Elmbrook Historical Society's website.
The website describes the inn as a Greek revival inn.
According to the website:
The inn was built in 1842 and originally stood at the corner of Bluemound and Watertown Plank roads.
Daniel Brown purchased the property in 1857 and ran it as an inn for travelers going by stagecoach from Milwaukee to Watertown on the famed plank road.
By 1875, railroads replaced stagecoach travel and the inn property became a farm.
Charles Dunkel obtained the farm in 1887. Dunkel's descendent, John Behling, donated the inn to the city of Brookfield in 1980.
The historical society leased the inn from the city and moved the inn to its current location in 1981.
Brookfield NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor?
Fix a problem? Send an email to
email@example.com or visit
BrookfieldNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: Does Brookfield have the third-largest tax base in the state?
- Ask Now: Wireless dead zones, what is to be done?
- Ask Now: Are there any plans for the Old Toll Road Village site in Brookfield?
- Ask Now: What's happening in Brookfield at I-94 and Moorland?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: When will the Watertown Plank railroad crossing be smoother?
- Ask Now: Path sharing problems in Brookfield?
- Ask Now: Is Mitchell Park getting winter recreational trials?
- Ask Now: Is the roundabout at Brookfield Road and North Avenue working as it should?
- Ask Now: How long will 124th Street be closed?
- Ask Now: Is Big Brother watching you?
- Ask Now: Which has more park space per resident — the City of Brookfield, or Elm Grove?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: The weeds are back — who is responsible?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Will sidewalks remain after North Avenue is widened?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Is River Birch Drive a public trail or a private drive?
- Ask Now: Is Goodwill still coming to Brookfield?
- Ask Now: Traffic signal, but no traffic?
- Ask Now: What's going on with Capitol Heights?
- Ask Now: Are well owners hooked up to city water required to get permit?
- Ask Now: Elm Grove looks toward more walking paths
- Ask Now: What's going on with Plaza 173?